Last week my nephew who was fishing on the local canal...

• Thread starter Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride
  • Start date
P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

He was fishing alone bothering nobody, along came a police officer and told him to pack up and go.
On asking why? The copper said ?he couldn?t tell him but if he didn?t he?d be arrested.?

The local weekly paper that week carried a story about youths attacking boater with stones and attempting to board barges in the area where he was fishing.

Is it fair and reasonable for the police to eject all youths from the canal even if they are exercising their right under UK law to fish, because or the actions of a minority of ferial youths?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

No it certainly isn't.Was there a curfew order in place for the area Phil?

E

EC

Depends on what the real reason was Phil, for example if it is for what you suggest then imo, no it wouldn't be acceptable!

If however there was some sort of operation ongoing where the lads safety was in doubt then yes that would be ok imo, what say the legal eagles?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Write a letter of complaint Phil. I am getting sick of this attitude of 'punish everybody for the sake of the few as its easier and we don't have to do any real work' that is coming forward in everyday life now. He had a right to be there. Get in touch with the paper cite there article and reley your nephews story and how can kids behave when they get punished for behaving etc. School holidays are always a quite time for the local papres.

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
I agree with Eddie, if it was for his own safety, then it was ok, but the copper should have given him a reason for moving him on, but being heavy handed and threatening him with arrest does,nt inspire respect for the police.

P

At this moment in time, due to the inspector of the area being on leave I can?t get to the bottom of it.
I will when I do speak to him.

No curfew order on the canal that I?m aware of Nigel. Nothing in the local press where they advertise such things.

If it is as I suspect at the moment and over-reaction by them to the press report, it?s bloody outrageous.
And I?ll not let it drop until I force them to apologise for that officers actions.
I?m not prepared to sit by and watch young anglers, decent kids be persecuted by an arm of the state because of what others do.

The Brush and Tar seems to paint a wide stroke it would seem!

P

PS
letter sent to the paper that carried the article

Sir

Whilst I sympathise with Chris Jones?s plight about coming under attack on his barge by youths on Rochdale Canal, Failsworth area, I can?t condone the over-reaction of the police to the legitimate youths who use the canal for recreational purposes e,g. Angling.

My nephew (14) who was fishing on his own on the canal on Tuesday 8/0/05, between 11 00 am- 1 00 pm, bothering nobody, was told by a passing police officer to pack up and go, when asking the officer why? He was told if he didn?t, he would be arrested.

What the police and the boating fraternity need to understand is, angling and those fishing on the canal have a perfect legal and legitimate right under British law and British Waterway Charter to be there.

They should also take note that study after study, the most recent conducted by the Environment Agency (Fishing for the Future, 2006), has shown that angling has a positive impact on young people regarding crime reduction, social attitude towards the environment and society in general.

If it is that Oldham Police are now, because of the actions of some ferial youths, taking the view that all youths will be removed from the canal, even if they?re there for legitimate and lawful reasons. Then that is wrong and totally unacceptable to the angling movement both locally and nationally.

Lastly, I would point out two inaccuracies in Mr Jones?s comments about the weed in the canal.

The Canal had been shut for nearly 12 months, until May ? June this year, due to a severe breach at Mills Hill, allowing the weed to build up to natural levels.

The Canal from the Manchester boarder to its upper reaches is a Site of Special Scientific Interest because of the nationally rare waterweed species it contains.

Phil Hackett

davestocker

Reaction score
Might be worth contacting the Angling Times & Mail etc. with the story, Phil. Nothing like a potential PR disaster for getting a result (ie a grovelling apology).

Disco stu

Reaction score
You have my support totally Phil, go all the way. There was something on the radio today about giving the police power to administer on the spot justice. It seems to me that they ought to learn how to use the power they have at the moment properly before giving them more.
If you need donations for a fighting fund put my name down!

G

Gary Knowles

Shocking story Phil.

I can understand the copper moving a stroke puller like you, but not your nephew ;o)

Seriously though, I hope you get an explaination or apology. If I were the lad involved's dad I'd be livid and wouldn't leave the station without a full explaination.

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Phil, did the paper print your letter? Most papers only want 'good copy' and are usually reluctant to print the truth, so i hope the truth will prevail as incedents of police heavy handedness needs to be highlighted

P

Only submitted the letter to the letters page yesterday and the paper is a weekly one. comes out Friday so I don't know yet!

My nephew appeared in it about 6 weeks ago (photo & story) for rescuing a gosling that had got caught in a bundle of packaging strapping, the blue stuff that comes around boxes.
Again, he had gone fishing when he found it in distress and tangled.
Had he not been there that bird would have probably died.

Last year he phoned me for advice over a major incident where fish were in distress through the scrotes opening a set of lock gates.
Through his actions we, BW and the EA were able to avert a major fish kill.

Angling, society needs these sort of kids, and some prick of the State comes along kicks him off.
That action, by that prick, will deters kids like him from being the eyes and ears of that waterway.
Unbelievable!!!!!!!!

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
I agree Phil, These youngsters are the next generation of caring anglers and everything should be done to encourage not deter them.
It was same when I was a teenager and started riding motorbikes - the odd few trouble makers caused us all to be 'tarred with the same brush'. Your nephew is a shining example to the modern youth.

B

Bully

Keep at it Phil. If they had a valid reason, but couldn't open with whole truth, then fare enough, however they do owe you an explanation.

Remember, they serve us, we pay their wages........

C

Chris Bishop

Phil, did the paper print your letter? Most papers only want 'good copy' and are usually reluctant to print the truth, so i hope the truth will prevail as incedents of police heavy handedness needs to be highlighted

If it comes out on a Friday, give them a call Friday, as publication day is usually fairly quiet on weeklies.

Don't know where reluctant to print the truth comes from.

T

The Monk

It would appear this police officer has made two mistakes, 1 moving the kid off the canal and 2 not realising it was your nephew mate!, knowing you, no doubt he`ll learn the hard way