I need help

John Ioannou

Reaction score
I am a beginner and I am fishing with a bolt runner but I seem to get plenty of bites but they seem to take the bait but not the hook. I was under the impression that with a bolt runner one does not need to strike the fish suppose to hook itself. What am I doing wrong. John

njb51

Reaction score
Are you using hair rigs? If so, how far away is the bait from the hook?

John Ioannou

Reaction score
No I dont use hair rig and my bait is about 6 inches away from my korum bolt rig

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Try using a hair rig the bait could be masking the hook point.

What bait and size of hook are you using. Also what are the fish you are trying to catch.

John Ioannou

Reaction score
I am using size 10 & 12 hooks and I am trying to catch carp but there seems to be so many catfish. There supposed to be carp up to about 15 lbs. in the dams.
I am using sweetcorn as bait. from John

njb51

Reaction score
Do you get screaming takes or just pulls on the line? Could be liners that you think are takes? Are you striking in to thin air or is there resistance and then suddenly none?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Can you get the Enterprise fake corn over there. This can not be pulled of. I suspect you are being robbed by smaller fish.

With your current set up i would use the size 10 hook and put at least 6 grains of corn on.

What other baits do you have available.

John Ioannou

Reaction score
Im think I can get the fake corn over her, the other baits are the ready made paste.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
That is if you are using hard pellets and dog biscuits.

Thee fake corn can be side hooked same as the real stuff. I would use a piece of fake first slide this up the shank then fill with real corn. Alternativly fish a stack of corn on a hair. Put the fake on last you could use a couple to make a neutral boyant bait.

John Ioannou

Reaction score
I want to thank you for your help which I will try out on Saturday when I go fishing next. How far away do you put the hook from the bolt rig, I have been putting it about 6" from the bolt rig.

F

Frothey

dont worry about fake corn, just use a bit of yellow foam.