Grayling(Friends from the North)

J

john ledger

Nigel suggested i did a Northern grayling fish in which is not a bad idea. I can think of three venues Swale at Catterick, Derwent below Matlock or the Dove.
We will not get grayling to the size of the Frome Test or Kennet but on a good day we might catch more.
Sean Meeghan Mike Howson and myself will be going later on in the year.
Anyone fancies it else let me know

E

EC

John I'd love a dabble but will be goosed until 2007, my other half is at college saturday mornings until January!

F

Fred Bonney

???`?.??.???`?.? ><((((?>
Having caught them on fly on the Test,I wouldn't mind having a go John, with the stick!

G

Ged

Any dates in mind John? I have to work every other weekend (night duty)so it depends on which weekend and which day.
Could possibly put in for a personal day off if staffing permitted.
Only ever caught Grayling on the fly.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
John I'm up for it, any of those venues. Fished the Dove last weekend for the first time, around Ashbourne. The clarity of the water was amazing and although the fishing wasn't easy, it wasn't rock hard either. I'd love to try other stretches. Also had a 2 1/2 Brownie and some smaller Grayling from the Derwent around Whatstandwell, another cracking water. The Swale is new to me, but that's fine!

J

john ledger

Will try to get a date suitable to all even if its in the new years to accomodate young Eddie.
in fact some of the best grayling fishing is between Jan to March

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I should be okay for that John.

J

john ledger

The major problem with the Dove is the fact its all club water even though i have a club book.
The best water in my opinion is the Derwent for the simple reason it has more grayling in it than any other river i know including the ones down south.
I have a club book but can also get day tickets and there is quite a lot of water to fish even though its tree lined.
The Swale at Catterick is also on the Leeds ASA book but is day ticket and the complex is run by my pal Gus Greaves who won the National Championship fishing for Leeds a few years ago.Must be 2mile of bank
The river holds some good grayling and one came out last year at 3lb 12oz but was never in my mind authenticated,my best on the Swale was 2lb at Asenby,in fact thats my biggest grayling.
The Swale is more peggy at Catterick plus its a fair trek and i would plump for the Derwent everytime because normally even in the worst of conditions you will catch grayling definitely trout and certainly in the right swim chub.
After saying all that i will problably blank

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
john you might be able to book the D.R.A.C eatondovedale farm stretch on a match booking but you'd have to check with the match secretary (details on that other grayling thread) although a trip back to the derwent does sound very appealing,as i haven't fished it for a couple of years (giving it a rest)and its only 5 mins away from here :?)

J

john ledger

You will be welcome Nick because i need someone to carry my tackle.
If you can make it Nick come along

Y

yoggy

To be honest if its between the two,i`d love to have a bash at those Northern waters!!.I was in Matlock a couple of months ago the Derwent looks a super river.And its a little nearer than the Test!.Yep count me in mate.The only thing is i need to book the day [days] off work a good while in advance so need to know the dates reasonably soon.
When was you thinking of John?

J

john ledger

Obviously later on in the year Simon or even into new year depends on who wants to come because at the end of the day some will not be able to turn up for one reason or another. Myself i am easy,pretty sure Beecy and Tom Riordan will want to come.
Any suggestions for a date anyone?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i`ve got cd`s knocking around the house i did for you ages ago john....limp bizkit and a nirvana one as well.not long got ian dury`s greatest hits if you want that doin as well??? i will bring them all up for you.

Y

yoggy

"Hit me with your rhythm stick"!!!..I remember that one well!
I`m a Paul Weller fan myself.Along with Steve Mcqueen he is the "King of Kool"!!

Going back to the fishing,can i suggest sometime in the new year?.Late Jan or even Feb?.

Beecy

Reaction score
Yep, I'll have some of that John.

Although I'm easy venue wise, the Swale interests me most, for two reasons, Ive never fished it before and from what ive seen of the derwent we'd struggle to get more than a handful on the same stretch ?

As for a date, how about over the Christmas holidays, good chance of most people being free and you can turn up in your Santa outfit John, ho ho ho.

E

EC

Now I remember, thats where I know Johns pic from!

Never brought me a pair of chest waders last chrimbo did yer?

Miserable get!

J

john ledger

Eddie
If we get six points off yer i will put you some liners inside.
Beecy
We could get a few anglers in at Matlock Bath and although the Swale is good in the right pegs its very peggy with a lot of the water very shallow,plus the lads travelling from the south would have a real long journey and if the weathers bad it will be murder.
Many times old Gus has told me the Swale is fishing well and its always been the day before the week before you should have been here any day bar today.
Gus is a great bloke very funny and i love him to bits but he knows he gets publicity for the fishery.
Maybe we could go up another time with Sean Mike Mick and anybody else who wants to come as Gus would book us the swims. Gets bloody cold up there i can tell you last time i fished it Mick Howson was so cold he asked me to piss on him(of course i obliged)