Clubs with River Trent Barbel

Steve Plant

Reaction score
Can anyone make any suggestions? I'm intending having a few days in early September on the Trent. Only ever fished this river twice so starting from scratch really. I would like to know what relatively cheap club tickets are available which will give me access to a few stretches, preferably quiet & countrified if you know what I mean.

I also intend camping for a few days(not on the bank!) so any advice on any decent camp sites in the area would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
No where round Derby does day tickets Steve but there are some free stretches near Nottingham I believe and further up toward Newark and Collingham you can fish for around a fiver a day.

The infamous Collingham although it will almost certainly provide good fishing will not be particularly quiet. That said if you head away from the weir (peg 1) and up nearer the 70's you can park behind your peg in a field no where near a road and no where near the circus boys.

You'll be on for Barbel, Bream, Roach, Chub and possibly Carp.

Steve Plant

Reaction score
Cheers Paul. To be honest I'd prefer to pay for a club ticket (even if just for 3days fishing) & have access to maybe a couple of stretches, that way if one of the stretches looks busy, I can then go to another which hopefully isn't, if you know what I mean :). I've been looking at websites for Pride of Derby, & also Derby Railway (used to be a member when I fished the Dove), but I can't seem to find the site for any Nottingham clubs. I fished at Collingham once about 5years ago & it didn't really do anything for me. I gather now it can be extremely busy, which is not really what I'm after.

I'm intending to have maybe 2 days camping on a local site with maybe 3 days fishing. I'd like to be able to fish late, keep a bit of bait going in a few swims & be able to fish them in rotation over the course of a few days.

A decent pub would go down a treat as well...

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Derby Railway stretches are good, they have a lot of Trent round here. I've not renewed my membership yet but that's due to funds rather than the club.

I'll have a think about camping as being local it's not something I've ever looked into...

Steve Plant

Reaction score
Thanks alot guys. A few months ago I took a look at a Nottingham AA website. I seem to remember they had a good number, maybe 8 or 10 stretches available on a club ticket? Think it was about ?30 or ?40 or so, although I may be wrong on the price, so that looked quite appealing. Now it seems their website has been taken down. Does anyone know any more? Some contact details would be welcome....

Nigel Smith 4

Reaction score
Scunthorpe & District AA
?15
Several Trent stretches + Ancholme & others.
07717 748523

Ian Scarfe

Reaction score
Rotherham book has Dunham,North and South Clifton on the tidal stretches,the book is ?20 and there are some big barbel in there,and a fair bit of camping,IIRC.
Ian

F

Fred Bonney

LINCOLN AND DISTRICT ANGLING ASSOCIATION

Association Secretary

MR. C. Parker
4 Pottergate Close
Waddington
Lincoln
LN5 9LY

Tel. 01522 720777

Association Waters

Tidal Trent at North Clifton and Laughterton

River Till at Saxilby

Upper Witham form South Hykeham to Lincoln

Boultham Park Lake

Harstsholme Lake

Starmers Pit.

All anglers fishing these waters should be in possession of a Lincoln book, cost ?20 for adults, ?10 for Senior Citizens and registered disabled and ?7.50 for juniors up to the age of 18, or by the purchase of a day ticket, ?3.00 for adults ?2.00 concessionary.

Steve Plant

Reaction score
I've fancied a good go on the Trent for a few years now. I live in the North West (Leigh) & as the crow flies it ain't that far, but whichever way I've ever tried to get over to that neck of the woods seems to involve a 3hour drive. Maybe I've been unlucky with traffic or roadworks etc but it just seems a bitch of a journey. I'm not averse to a long trip for my fishing, have regularly done single day 2-300 mile round trips for years but the Trent seems to take soooo long to get there.

Thanks to all for the replies & the info. Will do a bit of research on all of the above tonight to see what I can suss out.

Steve

Paul Hayes

Reaction score
Steve contact the landlord of the Old Crown at Shardlow he allows camping behind his pub.
The beer and food are good to.

Although Shardlow is Derby Railway water Pride of Derby is close by.

Paul

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un

Steve Plant

Reaction score
So where would you guys suggest I get a ticket for? I like peace & quiet, countryside, somewhere safe to leave the car, plenty of swims to choose from & the chance to get away from the crowds & have a bit of river to myself. Hopefully this will be possible as I'm planning on going midweek. I like a stretch that goes on for a fair few miles where I can walk, walk a bit more, a bit further & then further still looking for that elusive perfect swim. Oh, & a few big barbel & chub would be nice as well...

Steve Plant

Reaction score
I used to be member of DRAC about 6 or 7 years ago. Fished on the Dove from Tutbury up to the weir. I remember having a bit of a look at the Trent one day when we (yes, I fish with Barney Knowles, no doubt now all these helpful replies will now cease ;-) I'm just surprised he's not hijacked this thread yet havin' a go at me... ) had a go for the pike on Redhouse Lake alongside the river.

I've had a look at the Nottingham AA site, they look to have some interesting water & plenty of it so that's a possibility....also the Long Eaton club looks good too....

Any more thoughts would be welcome guys...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Steve, most of the upper Trent I fish is stitched up by DRAC and BMAA, and I don't know much about the other bits.

You off the lead now?

Steve Plant

Reaction score
Hiya Graham.... Don't believe what Barney tells you, I'm not under the thumb at all...honest. It's just that I've been fishing all these secret waters & catching massive fish every weekend you see. That's my story & I'm sticking to it....

BTW, which club is BMAA?