Any Surrey Catch and Release Venues ?

E

Evan

I generally fish the Albury estate waters and very good they are too, but I really do not need or want to have to kill every fish I catch....

So are there any venues within reasonable distance of Cranleigh / Guildford / Crawley / Horsham that allows catch and release ?

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Robinswood (Frensham Trout Fishery) near Churt (between Farnham and Hindhead) offers a range of sporting tickets - all day, half day or evening. Five clear spring-fed pools between a quarter of an acre and one and a half acres set in a very pretty wooded valley. Can get busy on weekends, but offers excellent sport. Highlights are the early spring buzzer hatches, consistant mayfly, late season daddies and sedge.

Kingfisher Lakes at Hammer (just off the A3 south of Hindhead) used to have three small trout pools at the top of a chain of seven; I haven't been there for a while and there were rumours that the trout pools were going to be filled in to make a nine-hole golf course, but I don't think that has happened yet - if it will at all. I have enjoyed some excellent sport there and caught my biggest brown - 5lb+ - on a size 20 dry midge from the middle pool. It was also incredibly cheap.

Meon Springs between Petersfield and Winchester has a catch and release section which is really an impounded stretch of a headwater of the Meon. It can get partially choked with silkweed during the warmer months and the banks are very exposed, making casting tricky if there is any sort of wind. Very picturesque nevertheless, set in a quiet chalk downland valley. There are two main lakes as well which are strictly put and take; there are some big fish to be had to stalking tactics, and unused fish credits can be used on subsequent visits.

Hope this helps. Like you, I find I catch more trout than I can eat; my local pub benefits accordingly!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Why not sell your trout. It will help to pay for your ticket on non-catch and release waters.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

That is cheap fly fishing for this part of England.

Here in Rotherham we only have poor people, that's why I pay ?2.50 a day for 2 fish plus C&R. I have heard that next season it is to go up to ?2.55.

A rip-off that's what I say!!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I haven't been there for years, but it used to be very pleasant - the kind of anglers who'd gone to unwind, not to wind themselves up tight - and a (too) nice bar! Should have matured nicely by now - yet another thing to save up for!

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
I fished Robinswood a couple of times. It is an excellent venue for dry fly too. I had fourteen fish out on catch and release last time I went mixture of dry fly and wet.

That venue, you must move about. I know a lot of folks like to stay in one spot but I found trying many different swims more productive. Last autumn, I fished the lower pool and near the little waterfall a large bunch of floating dead leaves over shallows produce five fish in five casts for me.But those were all on cats whisker.

I have had fish to nine pounds at Frensham-Robinswood.
I haven't caught one yet, but I understand there are tigers stocked there too.
There is a very nice lake out at Maidenhead I fished once. I haven't been back since but that's because I live so far away. It's very near the river Thames and there is a comprehensive shop there too. I found this one teaches first timers on the grass before they get to the water too. Not many places do that these days.