information on barbel society

shep

Reaction score
i have been wanting to fish girton and sutton but thy are controlled by b.s. When i went onto their site they say that i have to join, which for my self and my wife would cost 44 pound. But then it says that i would have to pay again to fish the venue. Can anyone tell me if this is correct and how much it would cost altogether please? the site is very confusing.

F

Fred Bonney

Shep, I think I met you at Girton on the 16th June. Still not sorted??????
?17 a year,(?20 a year from next season )+ ?5 joining fee.
To fish Sutton & Girton ?35 a year or ?17.50 for Senior Citizen.
The site is being updated, I'm told, to assist would be members and, any interested parties.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Shep,

The BS venue in question is fishing well for barbel and I would join now if I were you as we are entering the "right" time of year for that venue to come on song. It has night fishing and on the Sutton bank you can more of less drive straight to your pitch. I fish all over the Trent myself as it's my local river and I pay a lot more for some of my season tickets than the BS charge overal. I reckon its quite good value for money myself.

Regards,

Lee.

S

Steve King

Does the B.S charge the same for all waters?

I can't see the cost of fishing their waters on the B.S website - it just seems to refer to the prices that are in the magazine that are sent to members.

G

Geoff Cowen

It does seem to be a bit of a check to ask you to join and then to pay extra to fish each individual water. An increase in the joining fee including the fishing would increase the membership; I for one would have joined by now. Perhaps they just don't want more people to fish the waters.
I would only be likely to fish the Swale but if on holiday near the Trent it would be nice to have the choice to fish the BS water.

Rob Swindells

Reaction score
Steve
All fisheries are different prices, to cover costs of different rents from different land owners.
Geoff
How can it be "a bit of a cheek"?
The Barbel Society is a "society" for the benefit of barbel and barbel anglers.
It aint no fishing club, but it does run it's own fisheries as well which are on offer to BS members.

S

Steve King

There is a certain stretch that I had an informal private arrangement with the farmer last year (i.e. I could turn up give him a call and hand over a fiver when he came around to collect!), this season I found it is now a B.S. water. It could have been worse it could have gone to a private syndicate.

I would still like to fish this water, but I would like to know how much it would cost.

How do they work out the price per fishery Rob, it can't just be by the rent, it must have something to do with the number of anglers?

Rob Swindells

Reaction score
Probably does have something to do with number of anglers, I don't know 100%. But I do know that once a land owner realises he has a good fisherie and others want it then the price will go up anyway.
Joining Fees and fisherie fees are kept seperate as I belive two thirds of the BS membership dont want to use the fisheries on offer, they are purely in the BS for what it stands for and to support them with the valuable work they do......conservation, junior education etc etc.

P

percy perch

I understand that people don't want to fish shouldn't have to pay to. The BS does a fab job and I compleatly agree with the conservation and eduacation work they do. BUT I cannot afford to pay membership and additional fisheries fees for myself and my wife, would it be possible to pay to fish without joining the society because I only go a couple of times a year?

Rob Swindells

Reaction score
No sorry, you have to be a member...........but if you are a member if you attended work partys you may be eligble for a few work party passes which would give you access to certain fisheries a few times a year.
Hope this helps.

G

Geoff Cowen

I think it's a bit of a check because it does not tell you this on the society web site. You could easily join thinking you have access to the society waters. I just think it would be better to pay twice as much to join and have access for all members to all the waters.

T

Tony Rocca

The two thirds who dont want to fish the waters, like me, would not agree Geoff.

D

DAN .

so joining is...
?17
and a ticket for gurtain is....
?35
petrol be .......
?10
bait is say......
?5-?10
then blow me my giro soon be gone" DAMB!"
the dole office will have to put my giro up so i can join!
:)

T

The Monk

Rob this is a family site, would you please refrain from using obscene words like "JOB"

Mr Moderator;

F

Fred Bonney

And Dan,it's ?35 for the season so somewhere around 200odd days!
Less than 30p a day ticket or, ?2 ish a week,for those who haven't a j**