fishing.....the technical stuff.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i got to admit that when it comes to the technical data/garb side of fishing tackle,i am a bit naive....let me explain......
i count myself as an ok competant angler when it comes to catching fish and adapting to conditions and trying different methods and baits.
when it comes to the technical stuff like why this reel has better line lay,rear drag is better than front drag or the other way round,this line is more abrasive resisitant than that one because.... then there is tip action,all through action,compond taper and so the list goes on wether its about hooks or what ever.
i`m sure that i`m not the only person on this site that takes this side of angling for granted sometimes,you know what i mean....a rod is a rod and a reel is a reel etc... and this will do for that and this etc....
do we skirt around this and not take it serious enough??? any thoughts???

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i know people who are the angling equivellent of trainspotters and know the technical stats of just about every piece of tackle out there like the difference between verious makers hook patterns ect,to me they're either big hooks or small hooks and i couldn't tell the difference between a drennan hook and a kamasson one !

F

Fred Bonney

I take it for granted too.
If it works, its good if it don't, complain.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

In most cases you won't be able to tell the difference between a Drennan or a Kamasan hook.

They come out of the same factory.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Personally I think its too easy to get carried away with the technical side of fishing as you explained so well Nick. If you are a competent angler, have watercraft and can adapt your methods and catch well regularly and gain enjoyment and satisfaction, 'jobs a goodun'.

I still think the maxim KISS is highly relevant and some of the rigs described for example are too complicated and OTT. That said it is MY personal opinion others might quite rightly have a different perspective..

M

mark williams 4

The tech stuff doesn't matter, but is worth knowing to avoid being suckered in.

I well remember the 'carbon rod' debacle, when co-called carbon rods had less than 10% carbon fibre in them. And the modulus of the carbon matters, if you are concerned with long-casting for example.

It's also useful to understand the physics, so you don't start believing fixed-spool reel bail arms can 'cure line twist'

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

It's interesting to know that two of the best barbel rods I own - Harrison Chemiras are not given a test curve rating.

But when I first picked them up, I knew that they would also be perfect for piking and zandering in the fens.

And indeed they are.

L

Les Clark

The old saying " Bulshit baffles brains " springs to mind , when we are new to angling we listen to the hype and take notice and then after a while we make our own judgement on tackle and our own mistakes .

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Anglers in general, and me in particular, only buy stuff that is well tested and the pro's and con's well known. I very rarely buy 'new on the market' gear and certainly wouldn't buy expensive items like rods, reels or poles without first getting the opinion of lots of anglers. I can say without any hesitation that I know nothing about the technical side of my reels, some of which I have had for 10 years or more but I do know their good points and bad points and I did know that they were good reels before I bought them which is the only information I need.

Y

yoggy

Graham,i think you`ve hit the nail on the head.Most anglers if they`re honest tend to go with the views of other anglers who have owned certain rods,reels etc.Most of my tackle has been purchased after reading user reviews.A few years ago i bought my first Shimano Stradic.The price at first did put me off,but after reading so many positive reviews i bought one.The technical side of the reel didn`t even enter my head.And today it still doesn`t,quite simply because i dont want to know!!.The performance of the reel is all i`m interested in.Although i`m still a firm believer in most cases you get what you pay for,despite the technical jargon.

T

The Monk

I`m with Graham on this, I rarely ever buy new, much prefer second hand after someone else has roadtested it for me

G

Ged

As long as it does exactly what it says on the label I'm happy.
Plus I will go of reviews and recommendations of experienced anglers.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i`m firmly in that bracket as well ged and i will never be any different.
can you all see though how confusing some of the technical garb and the pros and cons of rods and reels and poles and actions and line lay and goodness knows what else etc.... can be to the new angler or some one getting back into the sport.

G

Ged

It's not just the technical stuff Nick.
We have all the new equipment as well.
Mono line, fluro liones, floating lines, braids, floating braids, coated braids.
Poles for carp, margin work, match work, floating poles, top 3, top 2, power tops, cupping tops.
Reels galore with X amonut of ball bearings.
Rods with top action, mid action, all through action. Carp & tench rods, avon rods, barbel rods, feader rods, method rods and match rods.
Where will it all end?

I've heard a customer in a tackle shop ask what is best tackle for a beginner?
Owner says, What type of fishing are you doing?
Customer.....?? (10 mins later)Any.