Eel's What is the approch for them??

M

Michael Hall

When I was on the river tees about a month back there were eels jumping a fair bit so I know that they were there but I couldn't catch them what is the best method and set up to use to catch them. I know that worm is the best bait but what approch should I use??

M

Mark Frame

try after dark on a running lead.
failing that a hessian sack tied with a small opening in the top a few lumps of liver placed in the edge at dusk go back the next morning bingo a full sack mind you thats only any good if your going to eat them

N

Nicky Garbutt

to stop deep hooking use a 1 inch bit of wire on the hook pulled right up to the eye.

M

michael hall

cheers guys
I`ll try it next time i go to the river!!

R

Rob Brownfield

My approach to eels is in my car...then a short walk....hehe...

Seriously....I have tried the usual worms and very small deadbaits....but only really had average results..however..I have had eels pick up sardines and rip there bellies out...so....I started fishing a deadbait for Pike, but casting close using strips of fish etc...seems to work.

C

Chris Bishop

I've had them pick up big deads, chew the bellies out of 'em and even had one take a livebait in the summer.

When fishing deliberately for them I've hardly ever managed to catch one but a mate of mine who's a total eel nut fishes the marshes using liver (!) as bait.

M

michael hall

Did you hair rig the sardines?
And did you get a good result compared to the worm.
Could also put the juice's from the tin into you ground bait aswell!!

I`ll give that a go as well!

Thanks Rob

C

Craig w

i used to use real cheap nasty lucheon Meat with a worm on & a crap line to catch them in the high tides off the pontoon i lived near by on The River Tamar @ Calstock.

:))

M

michael hall

craig have you tried limpets when crabbing??

the crabs go for the black of the limpet.

I tries it at south shields and I got two every time i put in!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Michael....not tinned Sardines mate....fresh ones from Tescos :eek:) They come in 5 pound bags for a few quid.

C

Craig w

mmm... not used umm michael but i will try it next time we go for a few ..