Upper Trent Weed(Bloody Annoying)

J

john ledger

Where is all this weed coming from and has anybody got any ideas on the best method.
Never had this problem in the eighties but its getting worse and lasting longer.I have been using a long lead boilies rather than pellet because they are round,shot well up the line so the weed collects on the shot.
You name it i have tried it

S

sash

I either use one or two (up to 2 feet apart) Drennan rubber stops above the feeder/lead which do catch a lot of debris giving you slightly longer before a recast is needed or back leads where practical.

W

Wolfman Woody

Or like these, John.

Don't know whether they're the answer though. Frank and I must have pulled in over 70lb of weed between us last Friday night. So mush so, we were thinking of calling the council to shift it to their green recycling depot.

njb51

Reaction score
I've pulled tonnes of the stuff out of the Thames over the past two nights. Last night though, I stuck my tips straight up in the air. This seemed to help the problem with my feeder as it meant there was less line in the water. My feeder stayed put alot longer that it normally did.

Also, casting upstream will mean weed that is caught on the line won't travel down towards your lead/feeder.

J

john ledger

Thanks a lot lads
Must admit i have never used them but will certainly give them a try

C

chris 2

If you are not casting to far out and the swim is not to deep like a lot of swims on the upper Trent.Cast out and sink your rod tips well under the water even touching the bottom if its not to deep.Most of the weed at the moment is coming down on the surface,big clumps of it.But remember to use your baterunners or your rod will get dragged in.I use this and a stop knot up the main line and it seems to work ok.