Riparian rights

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Riparian rights, which allows landowners to charge you for fishing on their land do not apply in the Czech Republic. From the rivers edge, to appox 10 feet back is owned by the state; as is the river.

The state rent these strips of land to the National Fishing Club. All anglers in CR belong to this club. We pay a fee each year for membership (about 25 quid for the Prague, central waters), and either - pay extra to avoid a days labour cleaning the banks, or give a day to it.

Imagine how cheap fishing would be in the UK, should we get rid of the notion that a man can own a river.

Also, being one very large National Club, our restocking policy is very generous - we own most of the breeding ponds!

The middle man has gone. Good riddance!

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Steve

There are certain parts of certain rivers that have heavy canoe traffic. But its seasonal. Most serious anglers recognise where boat problems may exist, and fish waters where boats don't frequent.

Pain in the ass if you don't have your own transport, but most of us do.

The large lakes are devoid of boats once October arrives, and if you want a week on the 'boiies', this is great time to do it.

Sure, canoes can be a problem on the narrow during other times, but if you pick your spot wisely, and wave them off - there is not really a problem.

Good question ....

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Lada? That's a Russian car, and Moscow is about as far from Prague as London is.

I take it that Geography is not your subject? ;-)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ian, if riparian rights existed where you fish, then boats/canoes wouldn't be a problem, so stop gloating!

;-)

Nah, seriously mate, it is a much better way you have there.
It's all a bit too complicated here, as you know.
And your fish are bigger too!

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Did I mention that ciggies are a pound a packet and some of the best beeer in the world at 40p a go? And some of the most gorgeous women in the world ...

What do you call a fat, ugly woman in the centre of Prague?

An American tourist!

LOL

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Its only a 15 hour drive from Nottingham, and one of the best kept secrets in Europe. Beats me why more lads dont come over for a fishing holiday?

Most of the Brit's that the Czech's see are pissed-up stag parties in the centre of Prague. Not a pretty sight ;-)

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
I don't have the latest figures for stocking, but you can see some history here:

http://www.rybsvaz.cz/?page=home&lang=en

Only up to 1999, but we can assume that present stocking figure are much higher.

Other species, see them here:

http://www.czechpoint.co.uk/fishiczech.htm

Czech Records, but only to 1999 here:

http://www.czechpoint.co.uk/fishing.htm
Look for Czech Records link in the text.

I love fishing the stick, but the damn carp are everywhere!

Have a few photos of me with a 24lb carp that I caught on a 22 hook, single maggot, and 8oz bottom. Was fishing for livebait at the time, only took an hour to land it!!!

Perhaps the bosses will allow me to post them here?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Nah, seriously mate, it is a much better way you have there.
It's all a bit too complicated here, as you know.

Why is it better Steve?

blankety blank

Reaction score
Imagine how many other things would be cheap too, if the state confiscated private property?

Methinks we all need to bear the law of unintended consequences in mind.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Not bad sizes as well. I must you are lucky. Do the locals take there catch home for the table or do they return there catch as over here.

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
I guess about 90% of the anglers fish for the pot - carp being the main species. However, there are rules:
No more than 2 carp a day can be taken
The total weight of (all) fish taken cannot exceed 7kg
Carp under 35cm and longer than 70cm cannot be taken, and must be returned to the water.

In practice, carp between 50 and 65cm seem to be the best for eating. Too many bones if smaller, too old if larger.

As I have said before, I don't eat carp. But I to take one now and again, and give it to one of the local needy pensioners.

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
"All property is theft."
Proudhon

Rather than see the state confiscating the waters, see them as nationalising them. If you consider the amount of money that goes into maintaining the rivers and lakes, etc, it becomes a sensible proposition. Perhaps?

Interesting point for a discussion.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Ian, tell me where you live and I'll pop over later and nationalise your fishing tackle. One can never have enough!

W

Wolfman Woody

The thought of nationalising the river bank has one major benefit as far as I can see.

It would stop developers from building houses (and other stuff) on the flood plain. It's one reason we have such a vast amount of insurance claims these days from flood damage.

"If you build your house on a crack in the earth's crust it's your own fault."