Christian's barbel beginnings

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Nice article Young fella, well done. I like to see youngsters taking up angling, its something they will do for the rest of their lives, well, apart from the girlie chasing years that is. You seem to have the bug well and truly Christian and I envy all the years you have in front of you, would that I had even half of them.

You have done what a lot on here have never done, me included, and that is to write an article, a good one at that, well done again.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Well done Christian.

I was also 16 when I had my first fishing article published - in my school magazine.

I am sure that in 10 years time you will be making MH look very ordinary.

Don't let those girls take you away from the important things in life. All they want is your money.

C

Christian Tyroll

Thank you two, feels weird seeing it on here.

I like girls, (no smart-arse comments please) but they dont half get in the way of fishing.

Ron by the way whats MH?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
First off - nice article Christian.

What is MH?

Good question, my answer to that would problably be censored on FM, so simply stated, I think Ron means:

Matt Hayes.

:)

C

Christian Tyroll

Ooo i see, not so sure about that but its nice to dream.

R

They also get in the way of you making a lot of money!

W

Wolfman Woody

Well done Christian!

Which weir is that, Maidenhead?

All I can say is Kevin Perkins, Mark Wintle, like me, start to worry. This boy's taking over!!!

gilesy

Reaction score
well done mate nice piece. god its good to see kids in the "fishing zone" you remind me of me 25 years ago.

Disco stu

Reaction score
Well done Bucko, true determination and dedication, there is hope for the future of the sport with the attitude you convey in your first article.
It may be an idea to try for a series of them to give us old loafers a chance to see angling through your eyes. I think it would be a refreshing change.

Let us worry about the opposite sex while we still are able too, the lad has all the time in the world.

C

Christian Tyroll

Disco, Graham asked me if i wanted to do something like that, so you may well see a few more.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Smashing article Christian. As someone who has penned a few words in my time, you have the makings of a good writer, with a relaxed, easy to read style. What's more for someone of your tender years a delight to read something without any of my pet hate, text spelling!
Your passion for angling shines through and I have to admire your persistance to catch that first barbel, despite many blanks. Had plenty of those myself, hence I was 42 before I finally caught one! Good luck in the future.

C

Christian Tyroll

Cheers Peter enjoy writing, just terrible at the spelling. My english teacher says its the one thing stopping me getting an A or B in my gcse, that and my re-drafting. Maybe attempting to write a few articles will help me.

R

Spelling today is easy with Spellcheck on MS Word.

Be sure to set it on English English, not American English.

The more articles/essays you write, the better you get at it. I have written many technical papers in the course of my work, and had them published too. My classic was a 6000 word thesis on compressed gas filtration I did for the University of The Witwatersrand in SA, ca 1979. That, and a few other bits and bobs gave me AMISAMechE.

Spelling has always been my weakness, but some of the greatest English writers had the same problem. George Bernard-Shaw, I believe, was one of them.

S

Sean Meeghan

Nice one Christian! Really enjoyed reading it. Just one tip: marry a solicitor at least the divorce is likely to be cheap. I speak from experience!!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Well done and well written. I echo the other comments, particularly envying your future years of fishing.

I was around your age when I had my first barbel (from Throop). I'd seen them on "my" Stour and "my" Avon many times but never managed to land one. The first one I ever hooked got me so worked up when I saw it, I immediately panicked and lost it!

It took me a long time to finally land one. Crazy really when you think I was within walking distance of Throop and just a short bike ride away from the Avon!

As you say, the first one is so memorable.

Keep up the good work.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Cracking first article Christian hope its the first of many.

W

Wolfman Woody

Doont worry abut yer spellin, Christian. Im a routten zpeeller and fi wont for GRaham Mardsen know won wud undarstood wot I right.

Some tips. Watch for homonyms, words that sound alike or similar, but are spelt and mean something entirely different.
Beware the dreaded apostrophe. Even Harrods get that wrong (should be Harrod's). Comes to light in words like "its" and "it's", first is posessive, second is shortform of "it is". Worst example "..., but it's its own worst enemy."

It all helps Graham, who has little time as it is, but he should spot most of them.

PS. Now I know where you were fishing, I'll have the boat out there soon as possible! Ta.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
He might even get an invite to fish from your veranda overlooking the Thames....
You know Woody, the one Baz reckons only the rich and famous get to see.

Neil Melton

Reaction score
Excellent article!!! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and look forward to your next appearing on FM!!!