Last cast..........first barbel!

Porse

Reaction score
I decided to have one more cast, i think i counted 10 last casts though!

I cast it where i had been fishing but the only difference was the shape of meat i put on, 4 thin pieces ramdomly hooked.

The tip tapped (like a chub) and then i hit a stronger tap. The rod thumped round and the fish was on. It went and stopped, i thought it was a chub so i proceeded to bring it closer to me and away from snags on my RHS.

When i got it into open water, i relised it was no chub. It didnt come to the surface and was happy to stay on the bottom. From this i thought it was a bream, then first siteing said it was a carp. Once it was ready for netting i was very happy to see it was a barbel!

I carefully unhooked it and weighed it. On a dodgy set of scales it read between 6lb 4oz and 6lb 8oz. (If it was 4lb i would have been happy!)

I then had a task i was looking forward to all summer, nursing it back to the water. Having read the books on returning barbel i was happy to see it swim off after a few seconds.

i now know the value of good strong tackle, patience and respect for a lovely fish. Also i had better buy a decent camera as my mobile phone didnt do my first barbel any justice!

Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the good advice i have read on this website.

Many thanks.

W

Wolfman Woody

Congratulations.

You can now join the rest of us unwashed, gawping, drooling, bog-eyed fanatics and get back out there quick as possible for your next.