Carp on deadbaits?

S

Steve Burke

Some 20 years ago when stillwater chubbing I found that I caught more carp than chub on deadbaits, in particular whitebait. Since then when perch fishing I've continued to pick up bonus carp, plus several other "non-predatory" species, on freshwater deads (perch rarely take seabaits). These aren't small baits, being typically 4 inches long in the case of the freshwater ones!

I'm not the only one to find this, other perch anglers have similar experiences. For instance, the record perch came from Furnace Pond at Horsmonden in Kent and some anglers there, took to livebaiting to avoid damaging the carp with trebles. Apart from large lures I always use singles when perching myself so don't have this problem.

Anyway, whitebait in particular, could be well worth a try for carp, especially on pressured waters. After all, it's not a million miles away from the old cat food specials that used to be popular for carp. In my experience, carp like most cyprinids are quite predatory anyway.

C

Cakey

I fish a lake in welwyn garden city where the pikers cannot use sprats because the carp love them .

CAKEY

G

Gary Knowles

I have had one or two - mostly to oily deadbaits. My best was a 14.5lb mirror hooked fairly in the mouth on a half mackerel

S

Stuart Bullard

Steve, you use the term "non predatory", but I have had carp on shrimps, which I gather is quite a common bait used, so I don't see why they shouldn't take live/dead baits. Whether I would use them as baits to target them is another thing!!!!

R

Rob Brownfield

There was an article about this very subject years ago. The author was using cubes of fresh Salmon as bait, along with whitebait.

A small pond near me had carp to low doubles....you often see them in the Autumn smashing into roach fry.

C

Cheese Paste

Fascinating reading. I remember fishing a match a few years ago and one guy weighed in just a large tench. At the bottom of his keepnet were loads of dead fry the fish had coughed up.

C

Cakey

what about the other way round ive had pike on a boilie

CAKEY

pike guy

Reaction score
hi

ive had carp to 22lb on live minnows whilst perching and i had a zander on a halibut pellet during a match! its not uncommon to catch carp on deads

ben

cormorant

Reaction score
i caught a 3lb carp last week that spewed up a 4inch baby carp in the net

pike guy

Reaction score
cakey, what lake in wgc do you fish? im in the wgc angling club

ben

peter waller 2

Reaction score
I had to laugh when an indignant pike angler, dead-bait fishing from his boat near the end of my garden where I was happily extracting roach, suddenly let out an enormous 'King nuisance carp!' It went just over twenty two pounds, waste of a perfectly good deadbait claimed the reluctant carper!! Perhaps he was right.

D

Dave Slater

In my piking days I caught a few carp on deadbaits. They seem to be particularly fond of sardines and most of the carp that take them seem to be commons. I also once caught a tench on a roach livebait.

C

Cakey

blimey who dug this one up ? must be one of FMs first threads

pike guy

Reaction score
cakey, what waters do you fish in wgc?

im in wgc angling club

KAR

Reaction score
Watching Baretts Big Bite and Mark had a 40+er on a livebait.

pike guy

Reaction score
i still fish the court but havnt tried the hyde in years

do you know anything about the perch population in the court?