Which Rods and reels

Michael Conlon

Reaction score
Hi, I went out with a friend onto the Trent to try Barbel fishing. He is a keen and experienced angler. I'm not a very experienced angler. I had a feeder rod and although I was very keen and tried my best all i got was perch.
My friend uses a Carp rod for Barbel and says I should by one too, i've seen Barbel rods and Carp rods and would like to know which I should buy and the best make.
I would also like advice on buying a reel, wether a bait runner or whatever ( I don't know what a bait runner is ).
Your advice will be very welcome, I look forward to hearing from you.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I would go for the Greys prodigy specimen comes with a 1.5 and 2Ib avon tops its what i use on the trent Lighter tip in summer heavier tip in floods. Reel wise you need a 5-6000 size with baitrunner i use shimanoes but all the top manufactures do them.

Carp rods tend to be to powerfull this can lead to damaged fish. Remember the old carp rods were only around the 2Ib mark and they caught carp to 40Ib.

Richard Walker

Reaction score
Korum do a twin tip barbel rod which has 1.75lb TC TIP AND A 2.2lb TC tip. The heavier one would be ideal as a rod for fishing the Trent, team them up with a good heavy duty baitrunner reel with 12lb + line.

A

Andrew Thomas 1

Michael, it would help if you gave a budget, I'm guessing that stuff such as Grey's might be a bit too pricey for you....forgive me if I'm wrong.

Bill Ling

Reaction score
I bought my son A Nash Barbel Elite in 1.75lb TC after reading a rave review on Barbel Fishing World. The reviewer said it was a cracking rod for ?80 and he prefered it to rods he had costing ?170. It is being discontinued and costs ?40 here:http://www.climaxtackle.com/nash/barbel_elite_rod.htm

A bargain IMHO!

I have a Shimano Beastmaster Barbel Power, which is also a nice rod and a joy to play fish on. As for baitrunners I use Shimanos that double for my carp fishing, but I understand Okumas are well regarded and can be bought for ?30-40.

F

Fred Bonney

Michael,it is possible to catch Barbel on your rod,DON'T get tempted by the salesman.

Read, or ask for as much advice as you want on here,but tackle alone, will not catch you Barbel,you still may 'only' catch Perch!

David Clarkson

Reaction score
Agree with BB2, Grey's Prodigy Specimen coupled with Shimano baitrunner 5-6000, last a lifetime and will cope with all manor of specimen fishing.

D

DAN .

PRODIGY SPECIMEN.
but look around for the best deal !
the rod will cope with the trent fine and it can be used for all manners of fishing not just big leads and barbel.

C

Cider Bob71

I use a shimano GTE B 5000 and a shimano nexave barbel rod for carp and barbel. Both are a joy too use and man enough for the job but not so good if your on a tight budget.

Ian Scarfe

Reaction score
Climax haven't got any Nash 1.75s left,I know,I went to buy one.I thought the 1.5 a little light for the trent in flood,so bought the Nash heavy feeder,they're doing it for ?35,and it feels to be about 1.75 to me.
Ian

Bill Ling

Reaction score
That's a shame. They still had them a few days ago when I posted. I agree about the 1.5lb being a bit light for the Trent in flood.

Bill