Evesham Festival

Reaction score
Although I have spent most of my angling life based in Warwickshire and Worcestershire on the Avon or Severn, I have not ever been to the Evesham festival!

I know it's a shocker ;-) I am curing that this weekend by attending the Wychavon championships on the Sunday and can't wait...

Any FM'ers going this weekend or does anyone have a festival anecdote to whet the appetite?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've watched it at least a dozen times. The fishing has certainly changed a lot over the years, The hype that 30,000 attend over the three days doesn't compute judging by photos I took at last year's event though that was the case in the early days. As part of a team around 15 years ago we tried to qualify for both individual and team events. It was some of the toughest matches I've ever fished and though we did very well, enough to pay all expenses, and some, only one of us qualified for the individual. On the team front we were fastest looser. I remember peg to peg battles with a certain K Arthur. To give some idea of a tough matches, I was 8th with 3-10 out of 120. 4th with 6-10 out of 120.

But you will get a chance to watch some top class anglers.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have attended most of the festivals since its inception donkey's ages ago but it changed considerably over the years both from the fishing angle and the tented village one.

The sales tents were a disappointment last year, there were fewer of them and most of what they had to offer was stuff you could buy at a car boot, cheap tat but there is limited amount of gear for the serious angler. They put the rent up to astronomical levels, so much so that the big boys were losing money instead of making making it so they don't attend. Fosters used to have a massive marquee to themselves as did Shakespeare and there were many bargains to be had especially if you attended on the Monday when they cleared a lot of stuff out.

I shall be going on Saturday this year so I will miss you ****y, when are you going Mark, its your turn to buy the beer this year mate!

Reaction score
Wow Mark, no wonder the odd barbel can settle it.

I've heard that this year roach are expected to figure heavily in winning weights, apparently redfin sport has really picked up over the past couple of years.

I'm pretty handy with a pike float but am a lousey float fishermen in general, so I intend watching intently and learning.

Shame we won't be able to meet up Graham. Have a nice day.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I've been to/worked at a couple of them in the past ....on a joint Irish landladies/Leisure Angling stand .....

Melissa Cole

Reaction score
Having just had the most miserable two and a half days fishing in Evesham where I caught just about enough roach to equal a starter portion of whitebait I'm not going to hurry to the festival any time soon!

Graham, thanks for the tips on the Twyford Farm front though, my only consolation was that no-one - and I mean no-one - was catching anything of any note.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Melissa. The Avon these days is a very clear river and the longer it goes without a good flush through the staler it gets. To be truthful it never used to be as bad as it is now but of course the river lost its chub and roach population 15 years (or more) ago and that was the main attraction of the river.

The barbel are probably the cause of its decline but there are signs that the chub are returning and pleasure catches of barrel chub are quite common now and roach are quite plentiful round Evesham but in the right conditions.

Three weeks ago three of us fished a stretch above Harvington and two of us blanked and the other one caught two tiny roach and a very small perch, that was it for 18 hours float fishing, so you see it isn't just you bab.

Melissa Cole

Reaction score
On the upside I just went fishing on the Wandle for a few hours and caught a few chublets, couple of roach and a few hand sized brown trout - which is a first for me so I'm marginally cheered up!

F

Fred Bonney

Good to see your still trying Melissa,but where you been for the last 2 years or so,have you fished?

Melissa Cole

Reaction score
I have just not enough! I posted an article early this year about a good chub but I've been unbelievably busy building my business so fishing has been very quiet sadly! Something I've vowed to remedy!

F

Fred Bonney

Missed it Mellisa I was swanning around Oz & NZ.
Read it now ,can't wait for the next experience!
Good luck with your business,sort it first,then get out there.

Reaction score
The Avon may not be in its heyday but this year's event produced several notable bags and individual fish.

I saw chub and tench to 3lb, barbel to 6lb, large perch and 1lb plus roach landed over the course of the festival. Monday's match day produced an individual mixed bag of 18lb plus.

All of this during daylight, in clear water conditions, with bank holiday boat traffic, anglers in every peg, spectators skylining left, right and centre, and a loudspeaker system blaring the results.

The Avon can at times be a difficult river but it is stuffed full of fish of most species. Bear in mind that it is very peggy. Being in the right place is key.

Don't give up Melissa!

Melissa Cole

Reaction score
Thanks Fred, I'm getting there, just!

Hey ****y, thanks for that but I think that's just depressed me more!!!!! I never doubted the fish were there, they'd just clearly taken their ball in and weren't going to play any more!

I've decided I'm going to stay in my neck of the woods for a while and have a good crack at the Wandle - it's got some lovely areas and I reckon there's some seriously good fish to be had out of there.

I'll keep you posted!