Breaking strain

ggh

Reaction score
Can I get a list of line poundage and diameters, I find it confusing when trying to buy hooks to nylon?!

Thanks

Gary

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Not really mate, different makes have different diameters for the same breaking strain. Also not all 8lb line breaks at 8lb.

I have some shimano line rated about 5lb and it breaks nearer 3lb.

Bestbet is to go to the tackle shop and look at spools of line. You will see what average diameters different B/S's are and can work from that.

As a guide reel spools also show how much line they will hold in B/S and diameters, for example my Shimano reel will hold the following:

230Yds of 6lb
170Yds of 8lb
140Yds of 10lb

or

190Yds of 0.25mm
140Yds of 0.30mm
130Yds of 0.35mm
100Yds of 0.40mm

Maxima quote their 12lb line as being 0.32mm so it all sounds about right.

Reaction score
Sorry Gary this won't really help you if it's hooks to nylon you're after...

but other FM'ers with an eye for details might like to get hold of a Tackle Box of Kent catalogue.

They have a table of actual diameters and actual breaking strains for many popular makes of mono, flouro and braid.

It's an eye opener.

Reaction score
most hooks to nylon have the size hook,lenth of nylon and breaking strain and diameters,we dont use barrbless hooks here,so it could be differnt,try looking at sumo hooks,or milo.de they have a good range just look at harken (german for hooks)hope you have luck

ggh

Reaction score
Thanks guys, you have just confirmed what I thought, that each manufacturer does their own thing! I think it's about time I learnt to tie my own, which will give mr more choice and probably be cheaper in the long run!!

Gary

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It really is easy after a few goes Gary. What kind of fishing are you doing, I mean are you working with 1 & 2lb hooklengths or more like 6, 8 & 10lb?

We can point you in the direction of some good rigs and knots for your style of fishing probably...

ggh

Reaction score
After some twenty years out of the sport I'm doing my best to 'teach' my 16 year old son 'how to fish' and catch up on the modern techniques myself. We have had some success with 1-2lb carp, in the margins, and similar weight bream on a light method feeder (even though we were after carp!). We are having a go at tench this weekend and hoping to step up to 4lb + !

Wish us luck........!!