what do i need

Specihunter

Reaction score
i want to take up pike fishing, will my 3lb tc carp rods and free spool reel be ok.what else will i need to get going line, buzzers and bite indicators.

L

Les Clark

Speci- hunter ,read the information on the P.A.C. website but just as important is to team up with an experienced pike angler to show you the ropes ,theory is one thing , one to one teaching is far better .

C

Chris Bishop

Tell us where you're from, we might have someone in your part of the world who can help, or better still a PAC branch you can join.

Specihunter

Reaction score
i live in bicester so i have a load of good pike water.and cheers for the advice

keora

Reaction score
The rod and reel seem ok for pike.

I'd put 15lb monofil on the rod, or if you can afford it, 30lb braid which is much better for piking and conservation of the river environment. Multi hook rigs can be easily retrieved from snags because the hooks will bend and unsnag if you point the rod at the snag and walk backwards with the spool held tight.

Size 6 trebles to 20 or 30lb trace wire is a good standard size.

Get a few sliding pike floats taking leads of between 7gm and say 12gm.

A carp landing net will be suitable for pike although I would squeeze down the non bait holding barbs on the trebles.

Buy a large forceps or long handled pliers or a Baker Hookout tool (my preference) for unhooking, and a pair of thin leather gardening gloves.

I find roving techniques are more productive than sticking in one swim all day. In my view the use of multirod set ups with buzzers and lots of tackle makes anglers less likely to move around because its too much effort.

keora

Reaction score
Harris Masterline used to sell them. I've looked on the web site today and I can't find it.

It's till available from Luremania - Google for website.

Specihunter

Reaction score
thanks glad i dont need to spend a lot of money on new gear just the end tackle.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The Baker Hookout is the best unhooking tool ever designed for toothy predatory fish. It gives a grip like a vice on the hook, making removing the hook very easy.

In my opinion it should be mandatory for every pike angler. Far better than silly forceps.

B

Budgie Burgess

But along with extra large forceps totally useless for working through the gills on a deep hooked fish.

Get a normal sized pair of forceps as well and learn how to use them.

If you intend to lure fish then get a good set of long nosed pliers as in my experience forceps aint no good for lures.