RIVER FISHIN HELP!!

D

david jones

A

B

X

(FLOW OF RIVER FROM RIGHT TO LEFT)

I am a novice angler who has been fishing stillwaters up until the other day when I had my first session on a river (the Gt Ouse). I have read very little about fishing rivers and came up against some problems which I was hoping someone may be able to help out with (or suggest a source for help).

These problems will, I’m sure, sound like child’s play and maybe a little stupid to most experienced river anglers, but I am a novice so bear with me…

As per above diagram, I sat and fished (legering) at X. I cast to straight to A and expected to see the line enter the water at the position I’d cast the lead to (i.e. running straight from rod top). I had also assumed that the quiver tip would remain straight until I’d tightened up to the lead (as per stillwater quivertipping).

What actually happened was that the line appeared to enter the water at B on the diagram, even though I had cast straight across, and that the quiver tip bend round immediately to around 9cm from the straight rod. I tried a variety of weights up to 3oz and changed quiver tips to the biggest (rated 3oz) but the same situation occurred.

Also, even with the tip at this immediate 9cm bend, it was constantly in motion, back and forwards and the line was as taut as a cheesewire. (I had read that weed may make the tip move, but it was not a weedy stretch).

That’s the situation. I have assumed that either I am 1) doing something completely incorrect or that 2) this is normal procedure for river fishing. If it is the former, please someone put me on the correct path, if it is the latter, then I have the following questions.

1. Why does the line not run from rod tip straight to the lead, (I’m assuming something to do with the flow) and if a bow is forming from rod tip to line entry point and back to the lead, what implications does this have on bite detection, striking etc.?

2. With such a big bend in the tip that constantly moves and taut line, how can I detect bites (particularly shy ones) effectively.

Any help gratefully received

David

(PS – I didn’t catch anything but had a thoroughly enjoyable (if confusing) day)

D

david jones

The diagram didn't come across at all did it! What it should have shown was X being the right most mark on the near bank, A being in the middle of the centre of the diagram nearest the far bank, and B being the left most mark just out from the near bank. Phew this is even more confusing than being at the river!!

P

Pete Falloon

David

so from what i understand you were legering downstream. Yes, it's quite common to get a bow in the line even in modest currents. A heavier lead won't stop this, but it will ensure that the lead holds place in a fast current. What I'd thoroughly recommend is to try touch legering. Instead of just tightening up and watching the quivertip, cast out and tighten till you can feel the lead, You can put the rod up on a rest if you like, but keep hold of the rod, (presumable in th your right hand), and carefully take a single loop of line around your right hand index finger. The sensitivity to any movement is amazing, and you'll just 'know' when you've got a bite. Be prepared to let that loop go, 'cos if it's barbel you're after, they can be rather vicious!

hope this helps

Pete

A

Alan Cooper

Quivertips do dance around on rivers David. Rivers with a bit of "push" to them, like the upper Ouse, Hampshire Avon or the old river Lea, will swing your lead over unless you use a brick! I think it better either to do as Pete suggests or just use the rod tip (which is what I tend to do). If it is barbel you are after, believe me, you will not mistake the bite!

P

Phil Auger

Although it is difficult to tell i think you were trying to fish straight out in front of you. This is virtually impossible to do with line tight against the lead. Try casting down stream at an angle of 60 degrees from the bank and you will not require as much lead to hold bottom. The tip was probable bouncing due to the lead moving along the bottom. Fishing a lead or feeder straight out in front of you requires a bow to be paid out in the line and is a fairly advanced method. Also try and have the rod pointing towards the sky at 45 or more degrees this is to reduce the ammount of line in the water to reduce the resistance. Holding the rod high up and letting your lead or feeder move through the swim is a deadly method aspecially if your quarry is Barbel in fast water.

D

Daniel Whitelock

i reguarly fish the great ouse and have had no such problems, have you tried flat leads and casting and waiting until it has totally settled? what i do is cast out upstream of where i want it, then wait till i see the line stop moving before i close the bail arm.
sorry if this doesn't sound right but i can't see a diagram on my screen so i'm trying do imagine it from my limited brain!)
cheers Daniel