The Fenland Lure Fishing "Fish-in"

Y

yoggy

Since becoming a member of this site a fair number of anglers have stated that they have never fished the Fen drains.Some i personally know have never caught a Pike on a Lure.Well here is your chance to do both!!.Its something a bit different for alot of anglers.The Fen drains are a super place,wild,mysterious,and miles upon miles of unspoilt and uninterrupted fishing.
I`ve spoken to Chris Bishop and between us we`ve come up with some suitable venues.There is a pub nearby that is fisherman friendly who will more than likely supply us with tea and bacon rolls.Anyone wishing to stay or sleep over we know of two good B&B`S.One of which is just up the road from my house.Both are within easy reach of the fishing.Dates have yet to be confirmed,but sooner rather than later would be the best option.October would be ideal so i`ve pencilled in a date for SAT/SUN 14TH/15TH OCTOBER.Chris will be bringing some mates along as well as myself so it sounds like its going to be a bloody good crack.So if you`ve always wanted to catch your first Fenland Pike....on a lure.....here`s your chance!!.Ron is coming so it should be fun!!!
Well who`s in....?

C

Chris Bishop

If we get enough the pub might open early to do rolls etc, we might also be able to negotiate an all-in deal with club/pub, ie ?10-ish for the day to include fishing and a beer and a bite to eat afterwards.

It's a nice water with plenty of small fish, so you don't need a massive collection of lures to stand a chance on there.

Y

yoggy

Anyone wanting to come who doesn`t own any lure fishing tackle, dont worry i have spare rods,reels,lures etc that you`re more than welcome to borrow [for the duration of the trip that is!!]

E

EC

What's the town/area lads so we can have a looksee at some accomodation.

F

Fred Bonney

I'll try and do it,just need to sort the date,should be OK though.

Y

yoggy

Date wise its going to be SAT/SUN 14TH/15TH OCTOBER.After some thought we are going to fish around the Welney area.This is about half hours drive from Whittlesey.Welney is quite central in the Fens so we have a fair few options open to us if our first choice fails!!.
B&B wise there are several within easy reach of the fishing.I live in Whittlesey which is in easy reach of the fishing.Anyone wanting to stay in Whittlesy i can recommend a B&B.Its used all the time by fishermen who fish the local "Decoy Lakes" and local rivers and drains.Here`s the info.......

COBWEBS GUESTHOUSE
21 DELPH
WHITTLESEY
PETERBOROUGH
TEL-01733-350960

B&B is 23 quid a night with full english brekkie.They are extremely friendly and will make you very welcome.

As i said its literally just up the road from me,so anyone staying is more than welcome to come round for a cuppa.

Y

yoggy

Night fishing is allowed on virtually all drains and rivers around here cakey so the choice is up to you.Anyone wanting to Pike or Zander fish into the night can do so.Although live-baiting is banned on alot of club waters.Most clubs charge around 3 quid for a day ticket,but i doubt you`ll see a baliff!!!!!!

When we`re lure fishing travel as light as you can.For those who can we`ll be covering a good amount of ground.

C

Cakey

after heart ops this year and becoming a diabetic 8 weeks ago I cannot wander to far

S

sash

Yes mate, I'll join you fishing overnight for the zeds. May wander off to do a bit of lure fishing or free roving lives during the day though.

Major PS on the whole thing though Yoggy, most of the drains are still fairly weedy. It may be an idea to point people in the direction of suitable lures and techniques.

C

Chris Bishop

I think you can night fish it but I'll check. There are much better zander waters within 20 mins' drive though.

It's not that weedy at the moment (hi sash...!) as it runs through nature reserves, so doesn't get the farm run-off.

It's more like a canal than a drain, 20yds wide, not that deep and a lot of lillies/tree cover along a lot of it.

It's not a big fish water but it's somewhere just about anyone should stand a chance of catching a couple of fish as long as we don't get too much rain between now and the dates Yoggy's pencilled in.

Out of politeness it would be good to contact the club and arrange tickets in advance, ditto the pub to see if they'll open early and do brekker.

I can also loan some gear if anyone wants to come who's never lure fished.