How many UK anglers?

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
I was just reading the latest stats for the Czech fishing Union, and they issued 330,000 fishing licences in the last year.

For a country of about 10 million, that one for every man, woman and child, or 1 in 30.

Any idea what the UK's figures are?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
GB population 60,441,457 but Scotland do not need a rod licence.

Rod licence sales for 2004/05 1,218,218

that boils down to 1 in 50

Which means that more of you are anglers than us. Considering that you could fit the Czech land mass in england thats a high population of anglers. How many of them are pleasure anglers and not fishing for the table.

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Difficult to say, but in the 6 years I have been here I feel that the number of anglers who fish for sport is increasing slowly.

Conservative estimate, 85-90% fish for the table. However, as I have mentioned on another thread - the number of fish you can take is limited.

Have not seen recent fisgures, but 7 years ago they were stocking with 3 million carp a year. I often see them restock, about twice a year, and tonnes and tonnes of fish get put into the waters.

I hear that there is an Ovis sponsored fly tournament coming soon, 100,00 trout will be put in!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thats a lot of fish. With so many anglers on the bank is it like over here were most fish the pegs nearest the car park so easy to find a quite place away from the crowd.

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Most waters are easily accessible, because along the banks of the rivers are many cottages (weekend houses), that the Praguers escape to. So, they have access roads.

The fisherman rent the waters, and that includes the bank 10 feet either side, so parking is never a problem.

Of course, there is also plenty of river that are not so accessible, for those that want a hike. But whilst most of us catch where we can drive to, I have never felt the urge to go further.

Another benefit of 'nationalised' fishing waters ;-)

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Its not the driving to the water i mind. Its the solitude that i sometimes crave for with my fishing. Thouggh i do like a good social session also.

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
I assure you, there are plenty of places to fish on your own. There may be a lot of anglers here, but there are literally hundreds of miles of bankside.

Another thing, the Czechs, unlike the Brit's, are not used to fishing in the rain. Pick a grey day, with a few rain clouds - and you will be on your own!

Me? Waterproofs and fishing brolly up .... no problem!

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Like most Brit's here, I met a wonderful Czech woman ;-)

Apart from that, with some of the best beer in the world at 45p a go, ciggies a pound a packet, and fillet steak at 4 quid a pound, I'm not in a rush to get back to Blighty.

Apart from that, petrol is cheaper, and it costs about 80 quid a year to MOT, tax and insure your car.

And the great fishing, of course .....

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
The flights are cheap enough, if you book them early and online.

I have been thinking of arranging an expedition for next year. Email me if anyone is interested, the more the merrier ;-)