Dace on Midlands Rivers

John Jones

Reaction score
Some years ago dace were prolific on rivers in the Midlands but in recent times you are lucky to see one at all, of a decent size anyway. On the Severn and Avon they used to average 4 or 5 to the pound and on the Wye they went 3 or even 2 to the pound.
How pleasantly surprised and delighted I was then last Thursday when I had a day on the Severn below Worcester with Graham Whatmore and another pal. During a wonderful day catching quality roach on a big stick using casters, hemp and tares, we each had several 'proper' dace.
My question is, am I wrong to think this could be the beginning of a resurgance of this bonny fish or have others noticed the return of the dace to Midlands rivers in any numbers?

B

Bob Watson

The river anker around Atherstone and Polesworth used to be a cracking little Dace river.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I caught many good dace from the Warkshire Avon near Warwick in the '95 to '98 period. My best catch was 6 dace for exactly 3 lbs on trotted caster.

I've had them bigger from the River Leam, 12 oz the best. Tony Miles has had them approaching a pound from this river.

I never caught a big catch from the Leam or the Avon. Just a few on occasions whilst after roach.

P

paul williams 2

John....they used to shoal up on a Lugg trib at the back end.......can't think of the tribs name off the top of my head but Graham might know anyway.

proper days fishing that mate........i must get back to it!......the sight of a big river roach or fat dace is a wonderful sight!