W'Otter Sight!

Reaction score
After 22 years fishing the Teme, I've finally seen my first otter tonight.

I took a mate out, who is very new to fishing (two weeks), for a couple of hours this eve and immediately following a 6lb 12oz barbel (which shocked the hell out of him), a massive otter (2 and half foot plus, presumably a dog?) swam casual as you like within 6 foot of us.

Defo not a mink; seen hundreds of those 'bar stewards' since a bunch of loons raided a fur farm near Kidderminster in the early 90s.

I'm still rushing now, just thinking about it!

I do understand that they may be causing problems in other parts of the country but it was an amazing experience to be so close to such a majestic beast. He was so un-bothered I followed him upstream for 100 yards or so...

Needless to say my mate is now transfixed by 'fishing' having seen sand martins, kingfishers, buzzards, sparrowhawks, perch marauding the margins, an otter, bats and a barbel in a short space of time. :w

Was it Chris Yates who said that the best bit about fishing is 'being there'? :)

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Brilliant ****y, but best if you put a tin hat on now, as the clubbers will baying for yours and its blood

barbelboi

Reaction score
Quiet evening then ****y?:wh

Haven’t seen a Kingfisher in three years, they used to a regular sighting.

Simon K

Reaction score
Was it making any noise, ****y?

When I saw mine, it was swimming slowly upstream and making a continuous muttering/whistling "conversation" of noise to itself. Which was what first alerted me to its presence in the half-light of dusk.

No matter what the pros and cons of their impact, it's still a rare privilege to actually see one.

Murton Bere

Reaction score
****y - no matter what negative feedback you get regarding this in my opinion there is practically nothing to compare with such an up close encounter with an Otter.

My first sighting years ago in the Thames in Oxfordshire but about three years ago I was sat in the dark after Windrush Chub when some swans in front of me made a right racket and promptly scarpered upstream. Directly behind them was a dog Otter which broke the surface right beneath my feet - I alsmot fell in with excitement!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
well done mate,
I have been into wild life since I was a boy of 4, something to do with my dad being like a young jack Hargreaves! anyway, I had never seen a wild otter till about 7 years ago while swimming in a loch on the isle of mull and a big dog swam right past me and I nearly swallowed a gallon of water I was so exited!
The thing with fishing is that you get to see all sorts of wonderful wildlife and you never tire of it. I have been lucky to have seen kingfishers back on the river rother, once one of the most polluted rivers in Europe and have also been within feet of corncrake on the isle of mull after a long absence due to modern farming and it all gladdens my heart to be able to see it all.
Please don't get upset if anyone on here gives you some stick for liking otters, they are one of our rarest mammals and to see one is a rare treat (never mind what anyone else says!)

mark

Reaction score
Was it making any noise, ****y?

When I saw mine, it was swimming slowly upstream and making a continuous muttering/whistling "conversation" of noise to itself. Which was what first alerted me to its presence in the half-light of dusk.

No matter what the pros and cons of their impact, it's still a rare privilege to actually see one.

Hi Simon,

No it wasn't making any noise.

It just swam quietly by within 6-9 foot, then briefly dived and reappeared ten yards further upstream.

I'm not going to put my head above the parapet (although I am of course equipped with a tin hat; cheers Bad One!).

All I can say is that after 30 years on the riverbank, it was amazing to finally see my first otter up close and personal, and to share the moment with a mate on his first river outing (the jammy get!).

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Hi Simon,

No it wasn't making any noise.

It just swam quietly by within 6-9 foot, then briefly dived and reappeared ten yards further upstream.

I'm not going to put my head above the parapet (although I am of course equipped with a tin hat; cheers Bad One!).

All I can say is that after 30 years on the riverbank, it was amazing to finally see my first otter up close and personal, and to share the moment with a mate on his first river outing (the jammy get!).

Some people are just born luck ****y, Guess your mate one of them ;)
Similar thing happened with me, my brother and a mate last year.

We'd gone briding to see some nightjars some where in bandit country (Yorkshire) My brother had seen them many times over the years. Me, nearest I got was to hear one calling the year before.

We, the 3 of us got there and it was drizzling with low cloud mist. Not the best conditions for them to fly in or see them for that matter.
My brother apologizing to my mate and saying we're unlikely to see any tonight.
We walked up to the top of the hill where the mist was worse seeing nothing on the way up. The light by this time was fading quite fast so we started to make our way down again. As we neared the start of the pine wood we heard one call, as we stood still a male flew over our heads calling, then another. Within the 10 minute window of half light we'd seen 4 birds.
I said to my mate, "you lucky son of a bitch, first time of asking and you see that many birds!" "I've put in about 10 trips over the last couple of years to see these and the nearest I've got is to hear one call. And you get them first time out.....no bloody justice in this life.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
come to derbyshire mate, there are loads of nightjar on beeley moor near chatsworth!
we have loads of rareties in this fine county of ours...lol!

mark