severn at atcham

chal9

Reaction score
just come back from first ever session barbel fishing on severn at atcham. seemed to be getting plenty of interest ( or line bites ) but couldn't convert this to fish in the net.i was using standard leger tactics with meat. would welcome any tips for this particular stretch of river.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
It may have been because you were using meat that you didn't catch, it can be a very iffy bait these days, the barbel tend to run a mile from it, sweetcorn is the same. They will take it when it is moving, as in freelining though and sometimes under a float as well but they aren't keen when its fished static.

You might be better off fishing a maggot feeder or caster and hemp up there, I always did well on both when I used to fish that stretch, other than that its pellet or boilie I suppose and no reason why they won't work mate.

J

John Howard

Its a few years since I fished Atcham. However I did find it very peggy. I now fish upstream where pellet is catching fish. Havent used meat for a couple of years now. A favorite bait is double lobworm on a 6's hook. Do not use worm at dusk unless you want eels.

Chub have been making something of a come back over the last few years, if the meat was hairigged it could be chub backing off with the bait between the lips.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Or a Roach, Minnow, or other smaller species nibbling at it.

G

Gary Knowles

Find any fast water at Atcham and you will get loads of barbel.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Atcham responds best to the "Timebomb" method - pellets in the feeder plugged with halibut groundbait and pellet or pellet boilie on the hook. Keep casting fairly regularly and you will catch. If it is bright and low they will come on in the evening. At the moment you will get them all day.

Ditch the meat.

B

Bully

Dont think meat is the issue, probably more how you bait up. Only fished it twice, but both times for me the best method was always keep on topping up, either with a 'pault or a feeder. Once feeding I found the hook bait made very little difference.

I just used hemp......