Don Polluted Again

J

john ledger

Just heard the Don has suffered another pollution and once again fom Yorkshire Water.
Once again its sewerage and once again its the rain thats caused the problem.
How many more feeble excuses will this company which makes millions come out with

J

john ledger

Apparently it was in the Advertiser Ron and it was the residents who raised the alarm from some houses near the river due to the stench from raw sewage which was all over the banks with dead fish all over.
Word has it that Yorkshire Water are to blame saying the rain caused the problem.
What an absolute load of bollocks

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The management should be sacked for allowing this to happen again. If this sort of situation occurs when we have a few showers what is it going to be like when we get some proper rain. I hope something is done about this soon.

J

john ledger

Thats what they would like Matt and their record with fish deaths is appalling while their record on personal greed is about the same.
One of the main reasons we dont have stand pipes is because they abstract water and have been doing it for years ie the Wharfe

Matt Brown

Reaction score
A mate and I fished the Don yesterday morning. I was on maggot, hoping to catch some livebaits for perch, while my mate was on hemp and tares and hoping for roach.

My mate did well with about 4lb of roach between 2 and 8oz, plus a bonus 3lb barbel (all on the pole).

Although I caught plenty of roach, perch and a single chublet between 2oz and 6oz I couldn't catch a gudgeon. I even ended up using my stick rod with a small open ended groundbait feeder.

I've heard that the fry have been wiped out but it doesn't look too good for the previously numerous gudgeon.

J

john ledger

That is bad news Matt due to the fact gudgeon are bottom feeders.
Called in at a spot near Brightside Sheffield yesterday and was talking to a fellow who was fishing for barbel and he told me he had caught a fair few up to 8lbs.The river is vitually dead below Blackburn Meadows Sewerage Plant and thats what has caused all the pollutions thank you Yorkshire Water

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
What really annoys me is that when they are prosecuted and made to restock the river. They only stock with 6-8 inch fish even though fish to 8Ib have perished. The restocking should be with various size fish all along the length affected no matter what the cost. The way things are done at present it will be years before the river really recovers.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
It taken around 16 years for the biggest barbel to get to the sizes they have. It's not right.