Aquatech 2006

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Aquatech, held in Amsterdam every 2 years is the World's leading Trade event for process, drinking and waste water.

Some may ask what this has to do with fishing? I will reply that anything to do with water has an impact on our sport.

Some of the most shocking facts about the world today, and tomorrow concern water.

One person in five has no access to safe drinking water and one in two, no access to safe sanitation. As a result 4,500 children die of water related diseases every day, making poor water quality the world's No 1 source of disease and death.

Even where the quality of the water is adequate, there is often not enough of it. Countries in the Middle East an North Africa are already experiencing "water stress" with a severe lack of renewable freshwater. And as global warming upsets traditional precipitation patterns, more and more regions will find themselves faced with droughts, whilst others elswhere will struggle with floods.

On top of this, we are using freshwater in ever increasing quantities. During the past century, global usage has increased six-fold - twice the rate of population growth. And experts predict that within the next 50 years, the world's population will increase by another 40 or 50%

The answer is of course - innovation. But this innovation must not be stifled by the vested interests. Water companies exist because they SELL water, and the more water they sell, the more the fat cat directors can pay themselves fat cat salaries and bonuses. Obscene in a way isn't it, to treat a non-renewable resource as a "commodity".

But that is what the innovators today are up against, just as they are in the oil and energy industries.

I will be at Aquatech of course. I am looking forward to it. I'll report back on any innovations I see that will help the environment, give us better water supplies and most of all improve our fishing.

captain carrott

Reaction score
One person in five has no access to safe drinking water and one in two, no access to safe sanitation. As a result 4,500 children die of water related diseases every day, making poor water quality the world's No 1 source of disease and death.

thank god for that if it wasn't the world would be even more grossly overpopulated than it is now.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

There will come a day when the planet will not be able to cope make no mistake about that. Then wars will not be fought over oil, they will be fought over water resources.

When that day comes, look out for trouble. And it will come from Asia and China. Due to climate change, the Chinese are already having a problem with water supplies for their burgeoning economy.

From "Black Gold" to "White Gold".

I think Nostradamus said something about this.