Opinion Piece - Angling Web Vs Angling Print

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
The author only managed to refer to this site six times. Good job he's not biased ;-)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'd be worried if he wasn't biased considering he wrote the article for this site and contributes to it regularly.

And it makes a nice change from people coming on to plug other sites that never mention FM.

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Come now, Graham. It is below you to get so defensive!

The point could have been equally made without the (self) publicity. It was not needed, it detracted from the title, and introduced shades of propaganda, imo.

BTW, did you recieve my contribution? I sent it to the Editor last Monday and have not recieved an acknowledgement yet. Mind you, I did not mention FM - shall I do a rewrite? ;-)

P

paul williams 2

Propoganda Ian?......i would have thought that applied to a situation where no one has the chance to voice another opinion to the masses?

I think the article is sock on, and yes it mentions FM......cos it's on FM!

Good job Grahams a more balanced guy than me......i'd burn your contribution!

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Fred

Maybe I misssed it, but was 'the point'?

I would not be surprised if publishers started giving away such publications in the future. Perhaps by mail order, where you pay minimum postal charges.

The publishing/advertising market is changing, that's a fact. But I don't believe that digital media will ever replace a quality print format.

Who wants to sit on the toilet with a laptop on their knees? ;-)

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Burn it, without reading it, Paul? Sounds to me like you have shades of Fascism in you.

Look up 'propaganda' in a dictionary sometime, and then try to desist from making uniformed comments.

P

paul williams 2

No, i would have read it first!.....i'm not totally unbalanced you know.

PROPOGANDA..... the organized spread of ideas, DOCTRINES!......concise English dictionary.

I can't think of any one who whats to indoctrinate who wants to listen to others opinions!!!!!.............oh, and i'll have you know i look damn good in uniform!

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Paul

I don't wish to be didactic or patronising, but the word is spelt:

PROPAGANDA

Take your Chinese printed dictionary back to Smiths, and get your money back ..

P

paul williams 2

But you ARE didactic and patronising.....but best of all you are WRONG!! haha! :)-

Wendy Perry 3

Reaction score
Fm has helped me heaps of times, when i want a question about a rig or bait i get an instant answer.Plus i am not embarresed to ask about any kind of fishing question on here yet i wouldn't even dream of writing a letter to a magazine.

Plus my newsagent doesn't always have the fishing mags, they may order one or two so sometimes when i've gone to buy one they don't have it!

I'm not knocking the fishing mags it's just far easier and friendlier to come on the net for me.

Deanos

Reaction score
That was a great article on FM, I think that FM is far better than any of the weekly?s, and that FM is better than most of the monthly?s. FM may not have John Wilson, but the calibre of the anglers on FM is certainly comparable. There is also next to no humour in the published media, whereas FM has some fantastically talented individuals such as Kelvin Perky, Baz ?the biz? Ronnie ?figs? Clay and of course the top banana and boss of the site Mr Granville (the prize is in the post) Marzding, he makes me laugh when he says "the rod must still be in the post".
I think FM is very ?crafty?.
Why not call the site ?Crafty Fishing magic?, please send me some money for this idea Mr Marzding or I will write good stuff like this for angling times in the future!

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Wendy

The forum question/answer facility is a good point. Not one mentioned in the article, though. And it is the article content I have addressed.

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Reet, peeps ..

Let us play the game of 'semiotics', perhaps add a touch of 'Gramsci's hegemony', in respect to all publications, including FM.

The second paragraph of the article begins:
"In the printed media anything the editor or his minions say is gospel!"

Now, in view of my original comment, that was not 'ad hominum', would anyone care to offer a balanced critique of the replies?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ian. I think you have missed the point of the article somewhere along the way and of course Eddie mentions this site he is a member of it.

This is probably the best fishing site on the web and the point you make Eddie, that this site and others are far better informed and up to date than magazines and that they are interactive as well is a correct one. Whether this format will take the place of the weeklies/monthlies and cause advertisers to transfer their business is a possibility but I wouldn't have thought it was a probability, not yet anyway.

Ian Jay 2

Reaction score
Graham

I agree with your comments, apart from me missing the point. Have you considered the fact that because it was published on this site, that the FM referrals could have been a touch more subtle?

Perhaps I am being over critical, but I think the article would have been more valid, had the author been less motivated to mention the publication where it sat.

Only my opinion, of course. And as far as I am aware, free speech (within the confounds of normal accepted practice) is encouraged here?

After all, we would not expect, nor appreciate the editorial team censuring a member who disagreed with one of the advertisers, would we?

Apart from that, makes a change for maggot drowning, boilie hurling, or 32.4lb Barbel ;-)

Anyway, when are we going to get a spell checker on this? Save me from editing ...

P

paul williams 2

"Nowt for thee to worry about lad ;-)"

Thats just it though Ian........i shall worry all night!

But i don't take myself so serious i worry about spell checker.....i can tell a Richard head a mile off!