additives

A

Austin Buchan

can anyone out there help me with what additives when. I have a base mix from nutrabaits i'm looking for something to try with it...ref my previous thread re
ultrabite...
Ta

C

Carp Angler

Certain additives compliment certain basemixes better than others.

What basemix is it?
What are you trying to achieve?
(e.g. instant hit or longevity?)
What are your funds like?
What's the PH level of the water you are fishing?
Is it clean bottom or silt/weed etc?
Is it just for the winter or for all year?

So many questions......

A

Austin Buchan

The base mix is 50/50 by nutrabaits..
I'm looking for something with a relatively
quick hit thru the winter, fund wise I'm ok,
Ph don't know but could find out in the next few days, the bottom is very silty in places, and the margins are weedy, I'm after fishing probable 8hr sessions thru winter, distance wise the cast hits about
100m, into 12ft of water.I was considering trying to incorporate this ultrabite stuff hence my previous thread but due to the response from Dave I'll give it a miss.
Cheers
Ozz

C

Carp Angler

Have a look at the attractor bait article I produced last winter.
Carp Column

Any more questions then just fire away.

A

Austin Buchan

o.k., thanks Rik, no doubt I'll be in touch soon.
Ozz

R

Rob Brownfield

Rik...whats wrong with a boiled potato or honey and brown bread?..lol

As for PH levels...are u like me in that u believe the carp can sense the difference in Ph levels in baits? Thats why i think Strawberry and Peach Melba are such great flavours...

A

Austin Buchan

I may be a bit slow on the uptake here!!!
but.. if the majority of shelf lifes and ready mades are fruit flavoured and fish flavoured(maybe goes over to thread on the predator fishing)?? how come Trigga and F1
seem to have had such a big impact? or are we onto Ph levels for these as well.
Unfortunately I can't make the CS meeting
in Warrington on Fri or I'd be asking there as well.
Ta

R

Rob Brownfield

I tried the formula one on several waters in Suffolk in the summer....1 fish! I thought it was the worst ready made I had ever used. It smells like a chemical factory. I had plenty on the Nutrabaits Caviar and Black Pepper and Nash Squid boillies though.

As for Ph levels, if u look at many of the successful instant flavours, they all seem to have an Ph of 5.5 to 6.5...water being 7. That difference can apparently be detected in very dilute concentrations by carp and apparently, many natural foods like bloodworm, mussels and water snails also have a low Ph value. There might be something in it.

A

Austin Buchan

Thanks Rob,
I'll take that into account, as I mentioned to Rik I'm gonna try and find out the PH level of the water I'll probably concentrate on during the winter, last season I know fish came to crab and mussel
ready's.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Rob,
I thought that 'neutral' water had a ph of 7.5 and most of the waters I fish have so many foreign bodies in there I don't see how the ph would remain at a constant level, does this mean the effectiveness of the flavours would alter due to algae or discharges from other sources which effect the ph?