The 2006 Rat race

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I have a had a realy good session on the Trent this week only marred by the constant scurrying of rats!

morning, noon and night the leptospirosis carrying little plague carts were into every thing!

Groundbait and pellet bags were constantly under threat and by the end of the session I felt like I had been in the film "Zulu dawn"

It was a complete slaughter house scene with Rattus Norvegicus suffering massive losses yet still standing by the thousands at the top of the bank sillouhetted in the morning light squeeking at me in unison and banging their scaley little tails on their chests in defiance.

So come on lets get organized and wipe them out, I have enlisted the services of a family of foxes to help with the clean up opperation on the battlefield and a tawny owl gave me "air cover".

lets kill them all!

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I tried to make a napalm bomb out of an alcohol based flavouring and swim stim groundbait....I only succeeded in burning a hole in the side of my bivvy!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I heard on the wireles that if everybody went out tomorrow and killed one rat each, that would solve the problem. Fineto!
Carp anglers taking their food takeaway trays home with them would solve half the problem.

Get a couple of Mink on the water.

G

Gary Knowles

Lee,

both my bivvies have rat holes in them, two to be precise. One for entry one for exit.

about 2 winters ago I woke with a start as a rat had got into my zipped up dome and couldn't get out. A 15 minute battle with a rod rest ensued, with the ba5tard scurrying around and around in circles, probably hilarious to any witnesses but I got the bugger in the end...

I'm with you mate...

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I got about 10

2 to the gun
7 to the trap
1 sliced open with a machete

one other took a crack from the trap removing a big chunk of fur!

B

How far can you cast a rat and what test curve rod do you recomend?

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I booted one a good 10 yards!

We should have a contest for the best rat trap!

The only stipulation is that it has to work!

B

We cauld make this an anual event.
Rat catching and casting.

How about a name for our new found club?

B

there is a srory of a dog somewhere that holds the world record for catching the most number of rats in one hour.

I worked on an estate at one time.
You should have seen the fun start when we lifted the last row of bails of straw from the barn, ready for the barn dance.

Two little Jack Russels were waiting their chance. They grabbed the rats by the neck, one quick shake, and up in the air with them and then on to the next one.

And this is true. My grandma used to catch them by their tails. Spin them around her head three times. And smash them on the floor.

B

They once caught a 200 year old rat in Warrington Fruit and veg market.

It had a date stuck up its ar$e.

B

Bully

"both my bivvies have rat holes in them, two to be precise. One for entry one for exit."

Rat holes or arse holes? Given all the editorial about your bum, I am suspicious...

I hate rats, but only 'cos I caught Weils Disease and was very, very ill.

L

Les Clark

Baz , a silly question , why did your grandma spin them around her head 3 times ?
Did she let them go if she spun them only twice or went over the top to four spins ?
Or was she as nutty as a fruit cake ?
Did she have a thick black tash ?

L

Laurie Harper

When I were a lad, we used to set up an old rod with 10 lb. line, a large single hook and a piece of cheese and put it on the bank a few yards away. An old centrepin with a noisy check acted as the bite alarm. Good sport, especially on a slow day. Some of them didn't half fight, especially if they got down a hole.

B

That was to gain momentum Les, before she let fly with them. Hahahahahaaaaa. Honest mate I'm not joking.
She was one of these who wouldn't thank you for seeing her across the road.

They say I take after her. (o

Andy R

Reaction score
Only one way to keep them out, buy a dog got my self a little terrier last year not seen a rat since even on the trent.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
hey DB

killed a black rat this evening and now i have an angry apple about to explode out of my posterier!