how far can you cast a pike fly?

John Wood 2

Reaction score
I've just been out with my pike flies on my local lake, and I'm disaapointed with the distances I'm achieving. I probably cast 20 yards at the most, usually around 15 yards max.

my set up is as follows: shimano biocraft XT saltwater 8 weight rod, biocraft xt reel, cortland 444SL ghost tip 8 wt line.

should the average person be able to do better with this setup, or am I expecting too much?

keora

Reaction score
Could it be that the heavy fly is playing havoc with the casting rhythm ? I've noticed that casting weighted nymphs reduces my casting distance.

M

mark williams 4

I think this is why the big quest for water-shedding flies is som important.

Polar Fibre and other materials are better than marabou and rabbit strips in this respect.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

It might be your back cast. When you false cast, start off with a fairly short cast about 10 feet at the most. Now make sure you stop your back cast at around the 12-1 o'clock position and the cast should pick up speed. Now make sure that you feel the 'thump' of the fly as it it reaches the full extent of the backcast (look, if you have to) before you cast forward, otherwise you're killing all the inertia. Release a little line at a time but remember to stop at the 1 O'clock position and always wait for that 'thump' as the fly line straightens out to it's full extend and then launch the line forward, whilst releasing your excess line, which should be lying around your feet somewhere.
Your setup sounds fine so it's probably your technique that needs polishing.
Apart from all that, I catch a lot of Pike within feet of the bank. If you stalk the banks and keep quiet, a 15 foot cast can be more than enough.
Distance isn't everything. Accuracy often can be.

C

Charlie Bettell

John

My advice is to upgrade to a 10 weight set-up.

I use a 10 weight 'Sage XPLI' and a Redington Large Arbor' reel.

The reel is a must for preventing line memory/coiling - which will inevitably add yards to your cast.

A quality fly line is a must - and lubricated regularly - to make is slide through the rod rings with ease.

Double hauling is a must.

If all else fails - come see me!

B

Budgie Burgess

As Charlie says being able to "Double Haul" is a must! No matter how well designed your fly is or how much water it sheds pike flies are a big old lump to cast.Ive never found the need for anymore than an 8 weight (Ive tried using my AFTM 10 salt water rod which Ive used for various game species but didnt rate it).What I have found helped me is using one of the "Bass Bug" taper lines avaiable from the US.These have shorter heavier head sections than a standard weight forward line and are designed to cast the large spun deerhair mice,sculpin patterns that are so poular for Largemouth.

When trouting I can put out a full line but cant with an 8" pike fly but Im not far short! As Ive seen one of my US mates put out a full line with an 8" spun deer hair lure I know its possible! maybe I should have got lessons? its far to late now!

Ive always prefered tip/fast action fly rods for long casting and have had no great experience of using much else (for pike any way) but I would have thought that most softer action rods would be difficult to use for this.

Only time I ever use a shooting head for pike is with a Hi D when fishing deep the rest of the time its a full line.Has anyone got much experience with using shooting heads with pike flies as this may be a short cut for the less experienced caster?