Eyed Hooks?

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

You are using small wadges of bread flake which I often do when targeting big roach. The eye helps keep the bread on the hook and the roach don't seem to mind it one little bit.

I use Drennan Carbon Specimens or Kamasan Animals for this in size 12 or 14 tied to the 3 pound Drennan Fluorocarbon. I have even used two casters on this hooks without problems.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

I'd tie a spade and leave a tag of line off the back of the hook

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I am certainly not criticising Mark's article. I do not use bread punches, except for those Drennan pear shaped ones.

Most of the time when roach fishing I use spades.

But now we are on the subject, how many of you really think that the eye on a small eyed hook interferes with presentation?

Are fish really scared of the eye.

Old Pete Stone used eyed hooks for the vast majority of his coarse fishing, including the time when he was one of the top match anglers on the Thames.

I was trying to get away to my little roach lake today, but I have to do some work this afternoon. But tomorrow, I will be on it from first light.

Heck I'm getting more like Peter Jacobs every day. At my age, fishing should come first, not work!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"Are fish really scared of the eye"

I wouldn't know the answer to that Ron but there again I never use eyed hooks above a size 12 anyway so I have no experience of them. I do know that they look a bit ugly, to a matchmans eyes at least, but I couldn't see why anyone would need to use them anyway in preference to a spade end especially when roach fishing.

The bread punch can be deadly even on a river especially on those days when the fish are reluctant to bite and I always carry a set of Drennan extra large punches suitable for up to a size 12 hook, they can get you a bite when all else fails and not just small roach either.

F

Fred Bonney

I've always used eyed hooks for my fishing,primarily,at first, because I could never tie a decent knot!
My knoting ability has improved substantially,but I don't see the need to change to spades.
Unless,someone can persuade me otherwise.

M

mark williams 4

One reason I like spades is that the hook and line stay in line with each other.

With an eyed hook, there's a chance of the hook turning back towards the line - if you reel in really gently after a dodgy cast, you can sometimes see this has happened when you can see the hooklength.

It's also my belief that the whip know on a spade is less prone to damage - true, it's easier to tie badly, so maybe that evens out.

Anyone who's not a convert should get themselves a Dreenad Hook Tyer, which takes 30 seconds to master, and give them a go.

On big spade-ends like 4s, it's sometimes nice to trim the spade down with some small side-cutters. Just neatens everything.

Wozzer

Reaction score
I only use eyed in sizes bigger than 14.I find that if i use a bigger hook,i usually use a heavier hooklength and it can slip over the spade.I do whip em on though with the line threaded through the front of the hook.That way the hook still stays in line.