Bobbins,

• Thread starter Christian Tyroll
  • Start date
C

Christian Tyroll

Ive got two different bobbins sitting next to me, ones a fox and the others a solar (the one on the doglead).

Both have different lengths the solar ones max length is about 3inches longer then the fox fixed length.

Are there times when you would want to have a short or a long drop and if so why?

Thanks,

Christian

Matt Brown

Reaction score
A long drop is useful with rish where you wish to reduce resistance and allow the fish as much line as possible before any tension appears. This tactic is often used with light bobbins for perch, zander, eels and chub.

With self hooking bolt rigs then a long drop isn't necessary and a heavier hangers are easier to use (ie. they don't move around so much in the wind, aren't as badly effected by flow or current and so on.)

I reckon most poeple, especially carp anglers fish in the latter way.

C

Christian Tyroll

So fishing my Solar one with a long drop would be helpful when using something like a 1/2 ounce weight rather then a 2ounce weight?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
If you were fishing for fish that don't usually fall for bolt rigs, such as those mentioned above, then a rig that cteates as little resistance as possible can be a good option.

A running rig (for example, have a look at the rig in the FM archives) the lightweight bobbins on a long drop is often the way to go.

A light lead doesn't necessarily create a low resitance rig.

P

paul williams 2

I nearly answered this one to Matt.......then realised just how many follow on questions it could throw up!

Christian.......keep asking, it does us all good to think!

C

Christian Tyroll

So really it doesnt matter what weight im using if its going to create resistence. Hmmm you lot have got me thinking now (not a good idea) and i think ive got a plan.

Feedback on this would be nice please;

Looking at Woodys Straight through rig, i was thinking you could do something similar.
Instead of the weight tied to the line have a swivel with a float stop in front?
Would this create less resistence to a taking fish?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
One way to test the resitance of a rig is to tie it up, stick it in the water and pull on it as if your were a fish!

Just search google for perch rigs, zander rigs and eel rigs and that'll give to you loads of stuff to get stuck into.

It's worth trying to work out why particular rig has been created and how it works. Some rigs, especially some carp rigs, are often pointless in situations where a simple rig will do.

However, don't get tied into thinking that low resistance rigs will catch you more fish, because depending on the species and situation this is usually untrue! And of course, location, timing and feeding are more important anyway.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

How remiss of you Matt not to mention Bream, given that bobbins have been used for this type of fishing for more years than you are old. And it was probably the bream anglers who invented the forerunners of the modern day bobbins.

Yes Matt, they were using them long before the carp anglers, as there was a time when carp were only in a few waters, and not fished for by the masses, and bream and tench were the vogue fish.

PS
Both the prooducts mentioned in my view are total crap for bream fishing!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Phil, I know in the old days that bream anglers used to fish light bobbins on a long drop, and some still do. However I prefer fishing tight lines and heavy bobbins for bream.

C

Christian Tyroll

Phil, so whats your ideal bream bobbin (not arguing, just interested!) ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Christian, you would use a short drop indicator when fishing at long range with a heavy lead and a heavy indicator, with the indicator tight to the rod, when the likely indication would be a drop-back.

Long drop indicators are useful for bream on those waters where there are few carp and where maggot, caster, bread and worm are still viable baits.

If you're having to use carp tactics (for whatever species) because there are carp in the water and all the species are conditioned to boilies and pellets and therefore hair rigs and bolt rigs are king, then it doesn't matter what you use as whatever you hook will be self-hooked anyway.

Indicators used with bolt rigs are only really useful for indicating drop-backs.

P

Christian the ones I've used for the last 27 years are arm indicators, which you can't buy. As they were designed and made by me, predating by 4 years any arm indicators that were commercially available.
Over the years (last update according to my dated drawings was in 1994), I?ve modified them slightly but the basic design still remains the same.

Why arm indicators?

Bobbins have an inherent problem that they swing side-to-side in strong winds (probably the best conditions for bream fishing) and when you fish a long drop 1.5- 2 ft in such conditions they can and do tangle together.

With light bobbins they also have a tendency to creep upwards with the underwater orbital movement.

Swinging is eradicated by arms, and creep can be more or less stopped by a movable counter balance weight on the arm. Yes you can add weight to bobbins, but it doesn?t remove swing and modern, and I use the word advisedly, don?t allow the kind of drop I?ve described with the bog chain they put on them.

Graham I think you need to tell the bream in the current carp water I'm fishing, despite the hundred weights of boillies the carper are putting in, that maggots, caster, worm aren?t viable baits :0)

P

Matt effectively your scale down carping then?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Phil, there are always exceptions, and I stick by what I said that in most carp waters boilies and pellets 'will be king'. I didn't say that maggots, etc, wouldn't work.

Phil's Indicators

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Being a river man,I've no experience of bobbin fishing so forgive me.Matt mentions long drop indicators being used in respect of resistance shy fish in certain circumstances.I presume if the indicator drops it is a drop back bite.How will any resistance be felt in those circumstances?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Phil,

I like to think of it as scaled up bot rig roach fishing. 2oz helicoptor feeder, short hooklinks, backlead and a super tight line. The goal is that the feeder will spring back should a bite occur. However, bream have a habit of hookking themselves and just sitting there. ps. Those indicators of your look great. What do you for the arm?

Nigel, with a low resitance rig, my aim is for the fish to be able to take line as much as it wants before an increase in tension. The longer the drop on a lightweight indicator, the more line they can take before the line tightens aginst the reel. This gives me more time to set the hook.

Perch, eels, zander and chub often fail to mouth the whole bait in one go and therefore giving them a little time with the bait can make a huge difference to my catch rate. As Phil pointed out earlier, wind, tow and flow can start to cause problems with very lightweight hangers.

C

Christian Tyroll

Cheers guys, interesting stuff.
Phil i remembered earlier you sent me the picture and diagrams of your indicators so will be having a good look at htose this evening.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

This is a really good question you have asked Christian. The drop being the key factor.
But it goes even further than that.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I think it's important that people see the indication system as part of the rig.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thanks Matt.I am going to deadbait for canal chub this winter and am looking at correct indication.

I seemed to recall though that chub often consume deads on the spot and you may only get a beep or two.