What Brolly to get

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
HI. I hope you can help. I have been using a Badger ultralite brolly which as been excellent in summer. Also very lite which comes in handy on some of the long walks.

Yesterday i was out and the wind built up all day. In the end we had some very strong sqawls coming through. One of this tottaly destroyed the carbon arms snapping 3 of them.

So i require a new light but strong 45-50 inch brolly. It as to be adaptable for the banks of the Ribble can be steep so the day type shelters are out.

I look forward to your suggestion and reason why.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I also have one of those 50 inch Lite (I think its a Keenets) brollies and I found out just how useless they are at Clattercote this year when it just collapsed around me and it wasn't as if it was blowing a gale either.

They are a complete and utter waste of money in my opinion and I will never buy a brolly that has fibre glass or carbon arms in future. I've gone back to the nylon brolly myself.

P

paul williams 2

Got ot go with Eddie C on this one.......big fragile bollies are a waste of time compared to decent clothing.......only down side is you have to carry the clothing in your rucka otherwise you are soaking wet with sweat after a decent walk.

I do have a small nylon brolly for when conditions are suitable...they are much better than large ones in river swims.

E

EC

Yes there's always a bit of a sweat build up, but with breathable materials now unless you have them on in summer its usually a minimum, with that suit at least!

I take your point to a degree though mate, but this suit has loads of space and you can wear a bare minimum underneath, also the jacket, without the fleece, isn't too heavy, I carried it to and from a rock mark on Anglesey last week.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Have a decent waterproof suit made by fishrite Fishrite. Its just nice sometimes to get out of the wind and rain. Also the brolly helps keep your gear dry. My rucksack as a waterproof cover for walking but it gets in the way while fishing.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

No matter what brolly you use it's best to use storm poles and guy ropes in those conditions Bryan

G

Gary Knowles

I'm with Eddie. I can't fish under a brolly.

I use decent clothes or just get wet...

H

Headmaster Hinchley

Laugh , i nearly fell off my chair when it disintegrated !!!!!!

I suggest you buy a crappy old brolly like mine, it survived whilst yours perished !!!!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Glad i can entertain you while where out on the river mate. Especially as i had no guilling duties to perform ;o)