Weights for lure fishing

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I used to have some spiral shaped weights that I could attach to my line, above the trace, when spinning. These were great for getting light lures down in deep water but they had a tendancy to fall off, especially while playing fish.

Last week I lost my last one.

I've been trying shot but sometimes the perch just follow them instead of the lure.

Does anyone know of anything you can buy or make, that I can use with very light lures? (ie. no.1, 2 & 3 ondex spinners and the like)

I'd been thinking of trying tungsten putty moulded over a couple of BB shot but the putty isn't cheap. With my casting (into bushes and brambles) I reckon I'd go through a tub or two a week!

Emmo (Angling Trust)

Reaction score
I remember them, still have a few aren't they called jardine leads or something like that?

I also recall that there were some thin round weights that you folded over the line. Don't know what they were called and never used them myself but pretty sure there must be something similar out there.

emmo

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Eddie, no, drilled bullets can't be fitted or removed from the line after rigging up (making choosing the required weight a little hit and miss), but I think the main problem will be that the perch might go for them. Obviously I want them to go for the lure!

Emmo, I've just done a search on Google for jardine leand and come up with nothing fishing related.

C

Christian Tyroll

Matt i know what your on about, my Dads got some in his tackle box i think. When he gets back from holiday il ask him (a couple of weeks, sorry). Thats if you havent found any by then.

C

Chris Bishop

Try those slotted Fox weights, they do small ones for balancing pop-ups, you can also use the slotted egg sinkers, just trap them on the trace by pulling a rig sleeve into the slit.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I'd been thinking about pop up weights, especially the old Solar ones. And the Fox egg sinkers. And leadcore. I'd even been thinking about a paternoster with a lead on the end.

I reckon a slim weight is less likely to attract attention away from the lure.

S

sash

Olivettes, Fox egg sinkers, Nash pop-up leads (clam shaped and dull coloured), small lead or shot on paternoster (shhhhhhh!), lead wire coil, brass insert or similar attached via two silicon bands etc etc

Make sure the weight doesn't impact on the action of the lure. Try a jig instead or a jig/spinnerbait combo.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

I assume they're Jardine spirals. Cigar-shaped weights with a spiral-shaped groove running the length of the weight...yes?
You could try Wye-leads instead.
Those are old-school weights and you might have a little bother sourcing them but they do still exist because I use the Wye-leads.
If you have a hell of a time sourcing them, let me know and I'll ask my regular tackle shops if they have them in stock, in which case, I'll pass on the contact info......OK?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Sash & Gary, there's some good ideas there.

Andrew, they're the ones. After a Google search for "Wye Leads" I found reference to both Jardine Leads and Wye Leads.

I'm going to have a dabble with a paternoster first and seee how that goes. Roll on the morning. I can't wait...

Matt Brown

Reaction score
The paternoster worked well. 21 small perch and a chub will testify to that!

They were still having a go at the shot (up to 3 AA) on the link though.