The Ribble today

Wendy Perry 3

Reaction score
Well i was there at 7.30am found the spar got my day ticket was all excited and off i went to find a spot.I first fished in front of the village i got snagged twice and lost my gear the bailiff told me it was very rocky there and maybe i should go further up to the left, and fish under a willow tree.

So off i go (soaked to the skin)to set up all over again.

Found a lovely spot,started to set up again got all the bait ready and along comes a guy with a dog that was HUGE, he buggered off and the dog ate... my tub of luncheon meat,a full tub of some new soft pellets i'd bought(2.99)and started to eat some other bits i had.I froze to scared to shout at the dog i bolocked the man!!

Half an hour later man with dog arrived with bunch of flowers and 2 apples saying i can't replace bait hope this helps.How awful did i feel then!!!

Anyway first cast out again snapped i forgot about the willow tree shitttttttt.

So then eventually i was cast out not snagged, no dogs and definatley NO fish.

When i left around 3.30pm the river was rising loads,and the locals were just about to start the bloody annual duck race.So with the luck i'd had today i'd have probably ended catching a duck!!!

Ah well there is always next time i suppose but.... i think i need to learn a bit more about river fishing before i go again as i didn't feel confident or comfortable all day .

E

EC

Never mind mate, these places have the habit of kicking you in the knackers, no matter how experienced you are, new rivers are always a challenge and the learning curve starts again, next time it will be better, don't give up!

E

EC

Metaphorically speaking Graham, no disrespect intended Wendy!

P

Paul Christie

Wendy
Don't be put off too much. Today's conditions on the Ribble were far from easy. It was well up, windy, wet and rising which will test even the more experienced ribble anglers.

It's also a particularly snaggy river in parts as you found out today.

You'll certainly have a much better chance of some success in settled conditions.

David Craine

Reaction score
Sorry you had such a naff start, but as has allready been said,new venues, especially rivers are a learning curve...most of us regular Ribblers are aware of the snaggy rocky nature of the river, and use tackle that is maybe somewhat heavier than you would expect...I know one angler who uses 30lb braid...a bit o.t.t. for me.. but, if it suits you....seems that everything was stacked against you this time..dont be disheartened, keep at it.You will come good in the end.. as Paul says, try again in settled conditions, and it pays to KISS.

Wendy Perry 3

Reaction score
Guys no way will i give up! i've put it down to a learning experience.My tackle was pathetic to be honest,and so next time i think i know what i will need.

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Wendy,

Let me know next time you come to Ribchester; I live in the Village and will be happy to bob down and show you the best spots on the Village stretch (and give you some bait if the dog strikes again!).

You did pick the worst day you could though. The river was up at least 4 foot yesterday and the rocks would have been invisible. Its dropped this morning so should be fishable in the next day or so.

It was so bad they didn't do the duck race in the end anyway.

M

alex laurie

Reaction score
Wendy,

Tough luck you had there.I find that on a new river, it pays to visit when the water is low and clear, to find the holes, snags and likely lookung swims.
It can be a god idea to take the minimum amount of gear and just have a day's mobile chubbing for example, or even just take no tackle at all and have a walk and a talk with other anglers.
Better luck next time. Take some chum mixers for the dogs!

Alex

H

Headmaster Hinchley

Mathew , wendy could of fished saturday afternoon ,it was wicked and definitely the worst day !. The Ribble rose 7 foot in the 2 hours we fished but i enjoyed it no end.
Love the shaggy dog story wendy.

fred hall

Reaction score
Oh Wendy, you are making me feel guilty because I'm forever telling people that this is one of the best day ticket stretches on the whole river (let's be honest there aren't that many such stretches). Hopefully you'll give it another go when conditions are a little more conducive to good fishing. I would advise you to try and take Matthew up on his offer besides fishing it midweek, rather than weekends, if you can.

P

paul williams 2

I've tried to resist it Wend, honest!

Told you you would have been better off with a lump of meat on the day.......with jam for starters! :)-

Wendy Perry 3

Reaction score
I'm gonna go in a couple of week now i think but i won't give up on the river i promise.

Mathew thank you for the offer of that i will email you when i'm thinking of doing it again.

Paul you could never resist!!!

J

Jack Pike BA

The last 3 times I been on the River I have blanked except for a foul hooked chub on Saturday ,do you think that a river the size of the Ribble can pressured or overfished ?
or maybe I need to change my methods

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
I think it can be overfished, particularly the day ticket stretches.

Notwithstanding I went out with a pal last Friday night (admittedly on club water but a heavily fished section neverthelesss) and both of us had five decent size barbel on 14mm halibut pellet. It has much to do with the weather, pressure and flow etc.

J

Jack Pike BA

I am going to give my club stretch a go this evening just for a few hours, thinking out tactics at this moment