Rod Rest Positioning

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

What are the advantages and disadvantages of fishing with your BACK rod rest at a height of 1 foot? And the FRONT rest at a height of 2 feet? Or vice virca?

Or, the BACK rod rest at a height of 3 feet, and the FRONT rest at a height of 2 feet?

Can you differentiate between the two and why different anglers fish in different ways ?

E

EC

On stillwaters I generally have my tip low to get it out of the wind when legering Bazza, when float fishing, I am usually waggler fishing with a sunk line, so its the same as.

On the river it depends on the day, the flow, how far out am fishing, bomb or feeder, and so on.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i suspose it depends on how tall you are,and your seated position and the type of fishing you are doing and methods used and the gound your fishing on plus the weather (windy ect)but genually i either have them at equil height or with the front rest lower and only differ if theres bankside obstcles ect or trying to keep the line of nearside water problems.

B

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to the positioning of your rod on either of the two set ups when useing bite alarms and swingers?

E

EC

If the rods were pointed right at the bait, reducing the angle from bait to rod tip could reduce friction to a taking fish, if thats what you were looking for!

B

How would I set my rod up in the rests to give me the best possible bite indication useing a bite alarm, and swingers or bobbins?

At what height would you have your rod rests?

C

Christian Tyroll

Ive always thought that would depend how deep the lake is, you want your line pointing right down to the rig right? So if you had a deep lake and were fishing close in you would have a much steeper angle. But if your fishing far out on a shallow lake you'd have it at a rather more flat angle.
Obviously those are each of the extremes so you just adjust to the distance and depth your fishing?

T

The Monk

In the days of free lining we always used individual rod rests with each pointing directly towards the bait, with the advent of bolt rigging though this largely went out of the window and rod pods amplified this more of course. Accessability to the rod would now be the leading factor, its no good having your rods in the air and not being able to get out of the chair to hit a run

B

Monk.
I would have thought that haveing your rods high up (3') but on the horizontal would make for easier striking.

Think about it, you are sat down. Your rods are low to the ground. You get a run and stand up. Then you bend down "again" to pick your rod up.
But this is not the point I am getting at anyway.

Christian.
I only spotted your thread after I had sent this one. I think we are both angling for the same answers mate. Indeed the outcome will be the same for what we are both asking.

Think of a Pike angler.
He has his rods set up about 3' from the ground WHY? (Some do at least).
He isn't going to get much of a drop back is he, if he is useing a Carp style set up, with his rod 10-12 inches from the ground on a pod?

Too many anglers today are thinking Carp type set ups.

captain carrott

Reaction score
At what height would you have your rod rests?

what ever height made the line come out of the tip ring with the smallest angle in it.

and i still don't use a pod if i can get bank sticks in.

B

Okay that will reduce friction which can only be a good thing.

But how do you set your rod in the rod rests?
And what height do you set the rod rests? High (3') or low (12")? And why?

captain carrott

Reaction score
whatever height made the line come out of the tip ring with the smallest angle in it.

T

The Monk

Monk.
I would have thought that haveing your rods high up (3') but on the horizontal would make for easier striking.

funny think about that Baz in the 70s we all had our own ideas, in the late sixties we would have a rod within reaching distance, but mainly we fished the margins for carp in those days, in the 70s, the long range stuff started to appear and we often fished with the rods at waist level, towards thew mid 70s our runners started to twitch, mainly because of the influx of particle baits, the carp twitched so we went back to sitting over the rods, the late 70s bolt rigs became available, the carp started to run again, and we moved the bivvies back from the margins and started partying. I fished the Llandrindodd sydicate back in the 70s with Des Taylor, it was a popular place for easy doubles, you cvould tell which part of the country each carp angler came from by the wat they set up their rods, the Kent lads would be waist high sitting under the rods and casting to the far banks, we were in the margins sat over the rods, we all caught regardless , the distance you fish is a deciding factor along with the rig type running (so called or fixed bolt type), you must however remember that a running carp has often hooked itself so a strong strike is often unwise, its usually just a case of lifting the rod and pulling into the fish, particulary close in

B

Why did you fish with the rods at waist level Monk? What was the advantage?

T

The Monk

the main reason, rightly or wrongly, was for the long drop on the bobbins, washing up liquid tops in those days and we were fishing at range, this was also a method adopted at the Roman lakes in the 70s for those of us fishing the back wall, we would stand over the rods, and we were fishing into shallow water remember and using glass rods, mitchell 410s, no bait runner in those days and the carp were twitching on running leads (no bolt rigs of course)

T

The Monk

sorry Baz the ideology behind it was to keep as much water off the lake surface as possible so as not to hinder the strike, we had not developed beachcaster methodology at that time

B

Great Monk.
That is the answer what I was after.
Rods set high (waist height) to achieve the long drop.

The way that most people set up today with the rod at 12" height or less. It would be impossible to get the long drop wouldn't it? But how many people realise it?

All you would be getting is a 6" drop or less if you set up at 12 inches in height.
Not counting the Delkim alarms where you can set the sensitivity, how many single beeps would you get for a drop back?
They could easily go unnoticed if you were haveing a nap.

dibber

Reaction score
Now that is a good question up or down , well my theory is that I fish rod tip down in windy conditions thus eliminating line drag on the surface and rod tip up on those lazy windless days,but that is only me ............Hello Fester

T

The Monk

the thing is Baz our rigs were really inaffect because nine out of ten times we would watch the line infront of the rods and strike at any action, which often resulted in carp on the bank, Tim Paisly wrote a good article on this way back called Bleep Crack, one bleep and the bobbin would smack against the rod, you would miss the take and thats as good as it go, we experienced this sort of thing on grey Mist in the 70s