Barbel

J

john ledger

Caught my first barbel nearly fifty years ago on the River Nidd at Kirk Hammerton and even now its not the hooking of the fish but the bite that sends a tingle down my spine

F

Fred Bonney

I have to say I agree with you John.When the old rod does a 2foot twitch,you just don't know what your in for.
If it's a 6 or 7lber though, you know, you've had a tussle all the way to the net.

J

john ledger

I know what you mean Fred and its true when you are falling asleep and the rod takes off its that that gets the adrenalin going more than the hooking of the fish

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

John it?s both for me! The ?slam over? gets the adrenaline going and the fight gets the knees a knocking.
Long may it be so, cause if you ain?t experiencing this, its time to pack up fishing cause you?ve lost what?s precious to it.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Have to agree with you Phil. When the rod bangs over you don't know how big its then they give you the run around and its always a suprise when you get it to the net.

F

Fred Bonney

..and don't that twitch always happen, when you just take your eye off the rod?
Or, nod off as you say John.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have caught uncountable numbers of barbel since I came out of the RN in '62 and even now 44 years later I still get a great buzz fishing for them. The anticipation waiting for the bite then the slam over of the top quickly followed by a run so powerful that even now it amazes me how a fish, sometimes only four or five pounds, can almost pull your arms out.

They really are a challenge for any angler - but not the only one of course.

S

sash

I think for me it's also the change in environment. As I live in the middle of flat Fenland most of my local fishing is drain, gravel pit or slow flowing river orientated. The transformation to fishing fast flowing rivers with the different techniques involved as well as the different wildlife encountered all adds up to the experience.

Imagine getting the chance to fish a snag tree flotsam raft on a featureless drain!!

The wrap around bites are fantastic though ;o)

J

john ledger

I have been catching a few on the Upper Trent the last couple of weeks and one thing is for sure you dont need a sensitive tip.The fish around the 8 to 9lb region fight the hardest but going back to the bite i caught about 40 at Swarkestone one session last season and the biggest would not have made 2lb but i stuck with the small fish just for the bite,it really gives me a good feeling

Michael Howson

Reaction score
The waiting, the slam down, the arm-aching fight, the feeling as the net closes over it. Its hard to say which gives the biggest thrill so ill say the whole episode is worth the effort especially in the company i am lucky enough to have on the bank with me. So thankyou John.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i don't know whats more exciting for me the actual bite or the anticipation of those slit seconds before the bite when you sence something is about to happen!.the fight is the icing on the cake and the scary bit once netted the shear relief as the after shock sets in as i try to unhook the fish with shaky hands,it veries in ratio/degree's to match the size of fish caught/time taken too get the first bite !

J

john ledger

I know exactly what you mean Steve,you get the feeling somethings about to happen,slight trembling of the rod top its real buzz like no drug can give.
All drug addicts take up fishing you wont need cocaine to get high

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
Its definately the slam down for me every time, it really gets the pump shifting the blood around. Always happens when you take a leak or start scoffing some grub, and then you get the fight right up to the net, is it a six pounder or a fourteen? you never know till shes in the bag, they all fight like crazy, weight is no definition as to the fighting power of Barbel.Best of luck on your quest Nick, its addictive once you land one.I know what you mean chavendar you get the feeling somethings just about to happen,you see a slight twitch, then bang, it still catches you by surprise and you have to rugby tackle your rod again.

L

Les Clark

Many years ago back in late 70`s ,me and a very good fishing buddy fished the River Kennet on a day ticket at "The mill " ,at least i think thats what it was called ,we fished the main pool for barbel ,our first attempt at barbel fishing .
We did`nt know what to expect so we were hitting every little twitch of the rod tip and of course with no success so we moved on to the side streams off the pool ,i think that i caught a very small barbel and a small chub ,my mate was fishing another small stream about 10 ft wide ,i can`t remember what the baits were ,i think it would have been a very strong soft cheese paste ,freelined ,well he had this "bite" and the barble just shot off ,never to be seen again and in the very swift fight smashed my mates rod , what power ,ive never forgot that day .

J

john ledger

Nick
Comw with me somtime on the Upper Trent you will catch one i can assure you of that