Proud to be a Member

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Reading this it makes me proud to be able to say I'm a member and playing my part in the battle against pollution - and fish disease!

T

The Monk

yes very true Graham, of interest many of the anti angling groups recognise the good works done by the ACA, as anti angling groups, they are anti angling, which under the laws of reasonable behaviour would suggest that they are pro fish, let they will not financially support the ACA, strange that aint it?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Very well done to the ACA.

Are you a member?

**** Walker once said that if every angler in this country was a member of the ACA, we would never have to worry about the future of our sport again.

Come on guys, get joining. Click on the ACA link to this website and have your credit/debit card ready.

Do it NOW!!

W

Wolfman Woody

Rock on ACA!

Yes, I'm a member.

Tried looking up info about this ergasilus, can anyone make any sense of this though?
Abstract The life cycle of Ergasilus briani is shown to consist of six nauplius stages, five copepodid stages and the adults. Only the adult female is parasitic. The free-living stages are described in detail. The presence of three aesthetascs on the antennules of all copepodid stages and the adult is noted for the first time. Unusual aspects of E. briani development include: the antennule is sexually dimorphic from copepodid IV onwards, the dimorphism being expressed in the numbers of setae present on the more proximal segments, and the first appearance of the male maxilliped is at the copepodid II stage. The endopodal setation of the male maxilliped is the maximum known within the Poecilostomatoida. The striking pigmentation of the developmental stages of ergasilids is noted and discussed.
"

J

john ledger

Been a member all my life and even when we had James debacle i never let my membership lapse.
Any angler worth his salt should be a member of the ACA and those who are not should be bloody well ashamed of themselves

J

john ledger

I wrote that many years ago Woody,whats up cant you understand it?

W

Wolfman Woody

No John and yet I do quite well with your writing.

Explain in English please "The endopodal setation of the male maxilliped is the maximum known within the Poecilostomatoida."

Humour me.

T

The Monk

I used to have to read abstract like that Jeff when I was studying for my MSc in Ecology, how I ever got it is beyond me,

mind you my mate Phil helped a bit

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Errr

The rear transporting devices (legs) which grow out of the back of the larger forelegs is the maximum known within the main part of the lower abdomen.

I think!!

F

Fred Bonney

Well done again ACA.

J

john ledger

If i remember Woody its about two slugs having a bonking session mind you i dont understand it either.
Could it be Ron in his literary mood

J

john ledger

Anyone know the real reason the James gang where removed,i did get a letter from Guy Lynley Adams explaining some discrepancies

Peter Knight

Reaction score
Hi,
I logged on here today to post about the decline in membership of the aca since the departure of the 'James gang'. The membership has fallen by 5000 to only 8,500?

I left the aca because I like Bob and Jane and I couldn't support the people that pushed them out however I doubt that all of the 5000 that have left have done so for the same reasons. It seems that something is seriously wrong.

As for the discrepancies, john, I think they are the same ones Chris Tarrent thought should have been 'settled over a pot of tea' as that is what he stated in his letter when he resigned.

F

Fred Bonney

I believe those that 'left',and have yet to rejoin,didn't renew membership because of the apparent problems, within the ACA at that time.
So,they didn't renew for 2005,waiting and watching 2006,rejoining 2007.
My belief is, that the ACA will now grow from strength to strength.

Peter Knight

Reaction score
Fred,

I hope your right because angling needs the ACA.

However the fact remains that membership was a healthy 13,500 while the James's were there and it is now around 8,500 under the new management.

It's not a good sign is it?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The ACA has buuger all to do with personalities.

For goodness sake join, Mark Lloyd is a top class person I can assure you.

The Association is much bigger than names!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Peter,

The figure of 13,500 that dropped to circa 8,000 is because the ACA went through the membership list and removed the lapsed memberships, something that had not happened for a while. This gives the false impression that 5000 left because of the problems when that is not the case.

With its administrative costs drastically reduced it is now able to spend more on the legal side and is getting more legal success than ever. That alone demonstrates that what happened was appropriate even if some found it unpalatable.

Not joining because of loyalty to certain personalities is bordering on perverse!

M

mark norris 2

I filled in my direct debit form 20 years ago and don`t even notice when it is taken.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I have been a member for over twenty years regardless of the various managments and I also believe that the ACA is one of anglings crown jewels and should be supported by all anglers. Sadly all too many anglers are a selfish bunch of B'stards who are happy to pontificate for hours without actually doing anything other than massage their own ego's and who are far too tightfisted to lay out even a tiny sum of money for something that they can't see an instant benefit for themselves accruing.
Personally the only real way I can see something like of a majority of anglers paying into the ACA would be in the form of a levy attached to the rod license much as happens in Canada.
Believe me over there industry is vary wary of the hugely powerful and well funded anglers conservation lobby