Opinion Piece ? Fishing Competitions

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I?ve been discussing this with various people for some weeks now and Eddie has brought it into the open, which I?m pleased about.

I?ve toyed with the idea of having a weekly award and an annual trophy for big fish catches, just as the weeklies do. And I?m still not sure if that?s the way I want FM to go.

Another idea is similar to the one Eddie proposes, in that we pay for so many big fish reports and pictures each week that are sent to us exclusively. They can appear in the weeklies after we?ve used them on FM, but not before. Currently this works the other way round, and understandably so, as it is the weeklies that pay the money and therefore call the tune. And this wouldn?t prevent anyone from competing for the weekly and annual award in the weeklies, for they would be free to submit their catch after it had appeared on FM.

Rather than it being done on a strict regional basis, the region would be just one consideration amongst others, ie, was the fish caught deliberately or was it caught accidentally whilst fishing for something else? In other words, all catch reports would be judged on overall merit, rather than just on size of fish. Obviously, exceptionally outstanding fish, size wise, would still be way up there on merit.

As always we want your views and your support in whatever we do. So let's hear what you think about this issue.

matt

Reaction score
Would the fact that it has appeared on fishing magic first not exclude it from the weeklies awards due to the fact it is no longer an "exclusive"?

I would much rather report the catch to my FM brothers then the faceless weeklies.

captain carrott

Reaction score
I?ve toyed with the idea of having a weekly award and an annual trophy for big fish catches.

just send em all to andy, he's won already.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"Would the fact that it has appeared on fishing magic first not exclude it from the weeklies awards due to the fact it is no longer an 'exclusive'?"

I don't think so as the weeklies have a different readership to us and some weeks the same big fish win in both weeklies in the same week.

Disco stu

Reaction score
I would love to have a decent catch to report sometimes, but when I do manage it, I would rather share it with the lads and bask in instant but brief admiration.

captain carrott

Reaction score
it is certainly a good idea in my opinion, not that i ever catch anything lately, i'm even considering offering to let people pay me to stay at home cos every time i go no one else catches either.

matt

Reaction score
Although I didn't participate in the 'fishing race'. I enjoyed following the thread and the banter.
Eddies suggestion of a 'roach week' or 'perch weekend' ia a suggestion worth further thought.
Members could swap tactics and describe methods on one species enhancing their knowledge and effectiveness. A great learning process.

W

Wolfman Woody

I just want to catch a bigger fish than Frank Guttfield.

And tonight's the night! Again!

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
I am afraid that getting into competitive fishing wouldnt be for me, I fish purely for pleasure and have never been interested in match type fishing of any kind, I liked the charity concept of the last comp that was organised but I wouldnt like to go through a monthly species hunt, I think it would impact too much on my personal fishing preferences. As for FM giving out cash/ prizes for the biggest fish of the week instead of the weeklies, might it not attract people becoming members solely for the week they want to exhibit their prize catch? I am not against either happening on FM, after all it is a community website and whatever is best as a whole for the members I would be happy to see and would support it, but as I said its not my cup of tea.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
personally i think it could bring in the wrong kind of memeber. The site as made its name on the advice it gives freely and with out reward.

You could always give it a trial period and see how things go.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
As I come from a match fishing background I can see the attraction of the suggestion but I think you would need a longer time scale. I can fish anytime any day because I am retired but the man that has to work all day and only has the odd weekend day to fish would be excluded from a weekly competition. Nights are drawing in now so its not as if those working chappies can fish after work is it? You need a competition that every one has the opportunity to take part in if they so wish.

I like the idea of a single species competition but it will take an awful lot of organising methinks and then theres the problem of carrying a camera at all times. I have never photographed a fish in my life in fact I have even forgot how it works, anyone know where I can get help file for a Brownie?

Seriously though I think its a good idea if it favours everyone and not just a few.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I have tried to ignore this thread if that is the correct thing to say, (probably not).
However, in the very least I owe Graham and F.M. an opinion if nothing else for all they have done for me.

I am purely a pleasure angler. The odd competition is okay, but I wouldn't like it to become a regular happening on this site.
To be honest, the last competition was too long for me and it did affect my liesure time.

It probably wouldn't have affected my score though even if it had been shorter. But I think I would have put more of an effort in.

In a nutshell, this site is free and easy going and a great way to wind down and relax. I wouldn't like to see it go down the road of being competative and everybody fighting for pole position.

To be fair, we have to advance to keep at the top, which I think this site is. But I don't know if this is the way to go. I could well be wrong.

Maybe the lack of replies is telling us something?
Sorry if I seem like a misery guts, this is just my opinion.

S

Sean Meeghan

I'm happy to report to the site (don't report to the weeklies). I'm not bothered about money, or prizes, but maybe a version of the fishing race would apeal to my competitive instinct and encourage me to vary my fishing a bit.

Matt's idea of a species week might work better with a species month as this would even out the effect of weather variations across the country. Whatever it is it needs to be kept light hearted, instructional, and objectively judged - maybe a member poll?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
There are already prizes on offer for writing reviews on tackle etc... so why not some kind of prize for fishing, after all that's what we all do.

It shouldn't be the biggest fish wins for the reasons Eddie states, basically it's just not fair.

Maybe single species weekends are the way to go with impressive sessions being rewarded. A brace of 2lb Roach caught on the stick, an 8lb Eel caught by design etc...

Maybe as Sean says a member poll / vote, pictures in a competition album, the voting function already exists, pictures can only be submitted for one 'event' and let the members do the rest.

Although I've just tried it and managed to vote for one my own pictures so that would need to be sorted out first. It was a nice Perch though so I may go back and vote again...

F

Fred Bonney

Not for me, for much the same reasons, as Sgt Bash,Graham and Baz.

T

Tony Rocca

There are enough inflated egos around without fueling the fire, not my cup of tea at all.
I think the whole Drennan cup thing, etc, is sad and not what angling is about for me.

Will we have difficult quizes to enter next:
Only a pound to enter and a new rod for the winner, summut like.....

Q. What sort of fish did Richard Walker catch at a record weight of 44lb?

A. Stickleback
B. Carp.
C. Tadpole

Still, everyone to their own ey, no skin off mine.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I like the mission badges/concept of IYCF

upgraded enamel badges for high standard targets would be nice

T-shirts are always welcome

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It's a good idea moving with the times, but I do agree it might attract the wrong sort of members, just for financial reward.

How about a hat or T shirt? FM weekly/monthly best fish award? Or prizes from sponsors, bait, tackle etc. I was chuffed to bits to win/be awarded my Kryston goodie bag and the (sorry Deanos!) very expensive barbel rod! If it became a cash prize, well?

I know what Eddie is saying, but do we/you want to keep FM as a free membership site? For me, this is one of the beauties of FM it's free! If it did attract the wrong sort of members, would they be willing to share their knowledge if money was at stake?

Can you imagine it? Andy and Wol net a record snake! That's it, Schtum!!!
Andy and Wol give loads of advice on bait, tackle, set-ups and rigs I am amazed. If it was some other geezer, would they do the same if cash was at stake?

It's a hard call Graham, but I would go with prizes at first, rather than hard cash.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Wouldn?t interest me in the slightest. My competition is with the fish I seek, not my fellow anglers.
Rarely do I report what I catch on here, that?s between me and the caught fish, and a friend if I?m fishing with one.
Don?t get me wrong, I?m not secretive in anyway, if I?m asked what I?ve been catching by someone I know, I?ll tell em..? It ?s just I don?t seek gratification or accolades from others for what I catch.

Over the years I?ve been offered awards for the things I do outside of fishing. My stock answer has always been, ?don?t bother because I won?t accept it, or turn up at the awards do. I do it because it needs doing, and/or I care passionately about it. If I didn?t I wouldn?t do it??end of!

If I could just have a little rant here?..What really p888es me off, are those people who do very little and seek maximum publicity for the next to jack they?ve done. Then turn up at do?s and accept awards for it, because they?ve Bigged it up out of all proportions and hoodwinked the gullible (normally Councillors, Local govt Officers and other so-called luminaries) into believing their bullsh1t.

In many of these cases, I know of people who have done lots more, over very long periods and probably would accept such awards, but never get recognition for the work they?ve done.

Best stop there because I?m getting madder at the thought of these rectum holes, and I just might start to name a few.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I tend to agree in principle Phil and fishing is just a pleasurable, relaxing pastime for me too (can't stand glory / fame hunters).

I wouldn't go in the direction of cash prizes but bait bags or selections of hooks maybe. That 'relatively' low value kind of thing, it'd be like fishing with mates and then getting bought a pint for that special lucky capture you fluked.