What reel..................?!!!!

ggh

Reaction score
I have a Shimano Nexave 2500A reel for my float rod and have just bought a Catana feeder rod. Is this reel suitable for the feeder or should I buy a different model for the feeder? Or is the Nexave more suitable for the feeder and should I get something different for the float rod........?!

Confused!!!

E

EC

Does the rod and reel feel balanced Gary?
Is the reel too big or does it feel to cumbersome, or does the rod feel too heavy for the reel? If not, and they feel fine together they're probably compatible mate!

Have a look at the spool capacity on the reel also, this will give you an indication of what strengths of line it is designed for, likewise what species/line strength is the rod designed for?

And do these marry up with the fish you are chasing, and the fishing styles you wish to employ.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The Shimano 2500 size reels are OK for up to about 6lb line so as long as you are using 4 - 6lb line you'll be OK. If the rod is a medium feeder then it'll be OK.

For 8 - 10lb line use a 4000 size.

Interestingly, Shimano have just announced a "new" size for their ranges of "3000" to fit the bill for light/medium feeder fishing (been there before!).

ggh

Reaction score
Thanks guys, my float rod is a Shimano 390A which the dealer tells me will handle a double figure carp (I should be so lucky!!) and the reel feels fine on that with 3lb line. Maybe I will get another one and use 6lb on that as the Catana is a 'medium'.

Cheers

Gary