River trent Newark

Paul Makings

Reaction score
Had a intresting session on the Trent last Thurs/Fri, Had numerous runs and a few fish out around 7-9lbs but lost a few has wnybody fished this peg and had any success i fished the peg opposite upstream of the sunken barge and hooked some real corkers only for them to snare me up in the barge, i tried everything possible even trying to draw them out i had to sit on my rods all night as i could not let them have any line but they still managed to snap me,. I would like to go back and try again as i think they are some bigger fish living out there only thing i can consider is upping my line strength etc even thogh i was fishing heavy anyway, would have included some photos but i do not know how to post them on here, i was on my own as my mate had to work. But was so good to be on my own with a few spare hours for first time in months.

F

Fred Bonney

Sounds like you need to beef your gear up a bit to stop them getting into the snag.
I don't mean, just line though.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Not having seen the peg this may be a useless suggestion but...

...can you fish from the next peg upstream (with beefed up tackle) so that there is less of an angle round the sunken barge?

Maybe also being one peg up you can cast toward it with a feeder or PVA bags to pull the fish further away from the snag. This would give you a little more time to gain control before they find cover.

G

Geoff Cowen

Powerful rod required - 2lb T/C at a minimum and 20lb braid. Lock your reel up and hold on. Scary stuff but it does work. It also helps to keep your rod low to the water after the take to stop the fish rising up in the water and using the current. You should also try winding in as quickly as possible, if you can start to move the fish in your direction the chances are it will head for the main flow and not into the snags. The main problem with this method is you cannot move away from your rods, if you do don?t forget to put your free spool on. Better to lose a fish than lose your rod!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
If the breakages were just above the rig then give leadcore a go, but make sure you use it safely.

12lb mono and a beefy rod (ie. not 1.5lb tc would be good.

It's important you lift into the fish before they get a good run on you.

Try fishing just the one rod as you'll find you can react quicker. You'll hook a few less but you'll land more.

Paul Makings

Reaction score
Hi, havent been back on as my computer broke, thankyou for the feedback, i am not too sure about leadcore, someone has told me to use shockleader??? can anybody point me in the direction of a rig using leadcore, i already use a safe rig with braid etc but would like to check this out properly. I have upgraded my mainlines to 20lb and am hopefully getting back on next week as i have some time off work, i have upgraded my rods from 2.25 to 2.75 and 3 i hooked a barbel at colingham last week on 1 and it was more comfortable than the 1.75 and 2.25 even though it managed to dislodge the hook with aid of a piece of plastic??????????