Cormorants – Biodiversity in Danger

avon20

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know that this is my first visit, but it's not going to stop me jumping in with both feet, I'm afraid.

My colleague Trevor Harrop, and I co front the Avon Roach Project in Hampshire, which aims to reinstate a self-sustaining population of roach to the Avon and attempt to halt the decline that has persisted over the last three decades.

As an accompaniment to this we have been compelled to help form a coalition of interested parties in a cohesive drive to do something about the biggest threat to our roach and indeed all other inland fish species, a foreign invasive species of cormorant from mainland Europe, (carbo sinensis) whose numbers now stand at some 23,000 wintering individuals.

In January 2011 Defra announced a forthcoming review of the cormorant licensing system. So we are pleading for your help in lobbying, environment Minister, Richard Benyon to have carbo sinensis placed on the General licence, thus providing river keepers and fishery owners, with an effective way of protecting their assets.

You can help us by signing our on-line petition at Biodiversity in Danger - Review Cormorant licensing regime Petition or by visiting us at AVON ROACH PROJECT and following the cormorant link.

United, we can force change, divided we don't have much hope, so please help.

Thank You

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Hi Budgie
We certainly have problems down here don't we. I think cormorants ane top of the list followed by Eastern Europeans, otters and mink.
If ever we get signal crayfish in our rivers it may be the final nail in the coffin. It could well happen as they are in several local stillwaters.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Blimey, the Witchunt continues. What a crock of sheeeeit. Maybe we should throw all the pike n' perch up the bank n'all, oh chub to since they all munch far more fish than any bird or mammal.

avon20

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

If I'm honest, I'm more worried about cats. You let them in and look what happens.