Basics to get started

C

Cider Bob71

Could anyone help me with outlining the basic requirements for my new pike bag too get me going? I could do with some info on wire B/s,crimps,floats etc. Also can you still use gags? Im planning on concentrating on using deads for the time being.
Many thanks

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Check out the pike anglers club of Great Britain for shed loads of useful tips

www.pacgb.co.uk

It may help you to have a session with an experienced pike angler and to consider joining a club.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Bob,

Others may disagree but gags are unnecessary and in untrained hands can be damaging to the fish.

Try and enlist an experienced piker to show you how to safely 'chin' the pike. This method, when used properly, is quicker and far more controlled.

As Tom says check out the PAC website for handling tips.

Your minimum kitbag should include, 15lb monofil or 25lb plus braid, a 2lb tc plus rod, a large unhooking mat, side cutters, long handled forceps or pliers, 28lb plus wire, appropriate crimps, crimping pliers, semi-barbed hooks, Kryston Klinik or similar and a very large landing net.

There are several FM'ers in the Bristol area, why not start a new thread and ask someone to show you the ropes?

Hope that helps mate.

C

Cider Bob71

Thanks for your posts...its been very helpful. Many thanks.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Cider Bob, I live in St George and will probably be starting to do a bit of piking in about a months time.
You are welcome to join us if you want to, we usually fish Ched' Res' and the Sedge.

captain carrott

Reaction score
The most important bit of equipment you can get is some one to show you the ropes there is no substitute with pike.

and i would never ever use a gag.
as for tackle, follow what ****y says and you won't go far wrong.

where you will go wrong is in not having your tackle set up correctly to show the bites at the first opportunity.

C

Chris Bishop

Thanks for recommending the PAC website, we now have a branch in Bath which is going to be hosting some guest speakers shortly.

Like more and more regions, they've bought into blogging - details of first meeting featuring a talk by FM regular Eric Edwards

here

The PAC blog which has links to a growing number of regions is

here

C

Cider Bob71

Steve, I will definately take you up on your offer.Ive got a bridgewater AA ticket so that would be great.
Let me know the best way too get in touch outside the forum.
Thanks again.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nice one Bob, you can email me on the E-mail member tab. No talking about footie though!
;-)

It's always nice to meet new friends ****y and if I can help, that's even better.
Pete Austin (levelspiker) did the same for me, we will probably meet him too Bob, when it comes to the KSD, he's the man!

Looking forward to hearing from you Bob.

Steve.

Jamie Dimery-seek

Reaction score
bob, if you wish to come over to the bath meeting on the 26th october,you would be made to feel more than welcome

jamie dimery-seek

Bath region 101
regional organiser

starfish

Reaction score
One of the most important aspects of pike fishing is the bait and I would recommend the Seafreeze range of frozen deadbais. Top notch gear based in the South East.
They will send you a price list if you call: 01245 360242.

Reaction score
Your local fishmonger is always a good bet and significantly cheaper than any bait company.

If you ask in advance most will get you pretty much any fish in any size you require.

The money you save soon mounts up.

C

Cider Bob71

Steve you must be a gashead then!....I will mail you my no shortly.I was down on the sedge today after the bream but the session was no go as it was infested with jack pike.
A local reported that a pike of 29lbs was netted out of there last week.
Jamie, thanks for that ill put it in my diary.Im thinking of joining the PACGB,is it yearly membership renewal?

C

Chris Bishop

Membership is now rolling, ie you're a member for a year (four magazines) from when you join.

The latest mag's literally out today.

More info on the website.

www.pacgb.co.uk

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Bob, it was probably just a rumour?
Or the circus would arrive!

And we don't want that!
Schtum mate.
;-)

William Burns

Reaction score
HHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!
IS THERE ANYONE IN THE NORTH WALES AREA THAT COULD GIVE ME A FEW HOURS TIME TO TEACH ME THE BASICS OF PIKE FISHING.I'VE SEARCHED THE FORUMS BUT TO NO SUCCESS.THANKS GUYS

C

Cider Bob71~PAC~

try this site,very helpful

www.pacgb.co.uk

There is sure to be a PAC region in your neck of the woods with someone willing to help.

Best of luck

Bob