Tangled Tories get nets in a knot over fishing

I

Ian Cloke

The Conservative Party's fisheries policy became even more tangled today (6.9.06), as Conservative MEP Struan Stevenson confirmed his Party?s intention to remain within the Common Fisheries Policy, despite saying it was a ?disaster?.

Mr Stevenson, highlighting his ability to face both ways at the same time, stated that CFP withdrawal might still be an ultimate sanction, before confirming that withdrawal would be illegal under the terms of EU membership. As chairman of the European Parliament?s fisheries committee, he was responsible for requesting that the CFP be included in the failed EU Constitution.

Nigel Farage MEP, UKIP?s representative on the fisheries committee, described Mr Stevenson?s comments as ?Janus like? and said: ?The Conservative Party have really got their nets in a knot over the fisheries policy. Mr Stevenson?s comments simply highlight the tangle at the heart of Tory policy.

?They need to retain a Eurosceptic image while supporting Europhile policies. Who better to defend their Blue Labour image than an MEP who supported the idea that the EU Constitution needed to cover more areas??.

Press Release

British business backs UKIP

The supermarket chain ASDA has become the latest business to back the UK Independence Party's demand that Britain should pull out of the EU's disastrous Common Fisheries Policy (CFP).

"This is marvellous news", said Nigel Farage MEP today (6.9.06), just before a debate on fisheries at the European Parliament in Strasbourg. "As more and more businesses realise that the collapse of fish stocks around the British Isles is directly attributable to the CFP, then slowly the message will get through. The EU's policies and central control is unsustainable".

Gordon Maddan, regulatory affairs manager at Asda, said: "We want all the fish we sell to be sustainable. It's very clear however that the Common Fisheries Policy has failed to deliver this so we are now supporting calls for a radical change in approach."

Mr Farage continued: "Of course, what is ironic is that the Conservatives have just thrown out their commitment to leave the CFP, when Cameron realised that, in order to preserve both fish stocks and British jobs, he would have to advocate withdrawal from the EU. It is apparent that the only Party that cares both about the maritime environment and economic prosperity for our fishing communities is the UK Independence Party".

Notes:

Asda Press Release - http://www.asda-press.co.uk/pressrelease/49

European Commission confirmation that to leave the CFP would mean leaving the EU

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/omk/s...+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN&L=EN&LEVEL=2&NAV=S&LSTDOC=Y

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Bloody Tangles are my preserve Ian and I am not going to have Tories encroaching.

W

Wolfman Woody

Nice to see you back Ian - even though you waste most of my day staring at links and press releases.

keep em coming ! :eek:)