sheephills farm river swale barbel fishing?

africandan

Reaction score
hi,
im still pretty new to fishing, done abit of tench and other course fishing last year and sea fishing this year, and been reading about barbel fishing and would like to try this aswell as the rest of it.

im from north east yorkshire way and would like to try somewhere close to start with where i have a decent chance of catching summet, size is not an issue right now just want to gain some experience.

anyway ive been pointed in the direction of sheephills farm on the river swale but read its membership only, and cant find a way to get in touch, can anyone help me out please, or advise me of somewhere mabye bit more convenient.

thanks

AD

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
They seem to be a secretive lot, africandan. I asked on here for info last year and was met with ear shattering silence. Sure to get some response now :) Too late now though for me as I'd struggle to access even the accessible swims.

I had some really great days at Sheephills over the last 35 years, but must stress I was NOT part of the crowd that caused the water to go down the syndicate road.

I have some good memories too, like when I dozed off and tumbled into the river whilst perched on the old tree trunk lodged in mid-river just upstream of the stakes, and my mate fishing the stakes all day wearing nothing but his Barbour jacket with hood up and a pair of waders (and underpants to save my blushes) due to the relentless sun.

Last edited:

Rickrod

Reaction score
Type ,sheephills syndicate vacancy into the serch engine there was a thread on here a few months ago maybe that can help you

africandan

Reaction score
yeah ive had a look across some of the threads on the site and seems abit of a shame whats happened to it. ive heard its decent for barbel and the's a few stretches down the road owned by some big manors but with me not really knowing whats what on rivers i thought sheephill might of been a good place to start as its only a hour away from me if that.
shame when its the minority that spoil it for everyone else.

ha, bet that woke ya up.

AD

Last edited:

Rickrod

Reaction score
Dan try cundall farm its still on day ticket

africandan

Reaction score
ah yeah, thats near by init? but correct me if im wrong, is that place more for the big specimin barbel which a few an far between or am i thinking of somewhere else?
dont get me wrong id love to catch a specimin but its not the aim to start with, just want to get me bearings on the rivers first, if cundall is what im after then thats where ill go.

thanks for advice much appreciated

AD

e2a (for the 3rd time) lol: right try again, ive managed to find the info on sheephills rickrod from searching what you wrote, cheers. ive sent a PM about it and see what comes of it, thanks again. will have a drive down to cundall one day too and have a look about, best get some barbel gear sorted :), look forward to it.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Don't expect an earth shattering response to any questions about Sheephills. Last I heard it was by invitation only. Despite knowing of the odd member, I've yet to recieve my invite!;):(:D

Cundall will do you just fine in the short term. Yes, it probably isn't as prolific as Sheephills but there are still plenty of fish to go at. The biggest snag is the amount of hammer it gets. Stay away from the noisy hordes and go midweek if you possibly can. If you manage to do that then I may see you there. I'd suggest that you look to go when there is a couple of feet of extra water in. Every multiple barbel catch I've had at Cundall has been in such conditions.

Get in touch after the first week of July if you fancy a midweek trip.

africandan

Reaction score
yeah i thought that would be the case, well a know no-one so got no chance :D, even so, if its expensive i would'nt want to limit myself to one place yet with me not even fished a river yet. you obviously cant be trusted SV, haha, only kiddin.

ill keep that in mind, cheers.

oh bad timing, on the midweek fishing mind, i start a new job on monday which is day shift 5 days a week, and dont think a holiday would go down well just yet :D, but will keep the offer in mind, much appreciated as i need experienced anglers to show me the way, so hopefully will get chance to take you up on the offer.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Of course there is always the Wear, less than an hour up the A1(M) :D DCAC do a half price yearly visitor membership (£25)
We have members from all parts of the UK, from Surrey to Scotland. A friend gave up his Adams Mill place to concerate on the Wear :confused:

AND we have great clonking sea trout and the occasional salmon on the same ticket!
Not to mention National record dace!!
Night fishing and you'll hardly see another angler!!!

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 ----------

John, how does he get on when he's wearing his lovely white coat with the buckles up the back?:confused:;)

Nigel always was a strange boy ;)

I'm sure I have said this before on the other thread but...

at one time the farmer/s would not open the field gate leading to the river before sunrise, then they started cashing in by allowing day/night fishing.

When Yorkshire had its 'stolen fortnight' they used to encourage anglers to fish during the close season (with maggots) but saying not to use keepnets.

As the saying goes, you reap what you sow, rather apt for farmers

I had a letter from a CSG member last year giving me details of fairly accessible waters on the Swale held by Bradford No1, they might be worth checking out

jollyboy

Reaction score
Cundall will do you just fine in the short term. Yes, it probably isn't as prolific as Sheephills but there are still plenty of fish to go at. The biggest snag is the amount of hammer it gets. Stay away from the noisy hordes and go midweek if you possibly can. If you manage to do that then I may see you there. I'd suggest that you look to go when there is a couple of feet of extra water in. Every multiple barbel catch I've had at Cundall has been in such conditions.

Get in touch after the first week of July if you fancy a midweek trip.

Sam we fished Cundalls this morning and after what looked a promising start...we crashed and burned...nice looking stretch and we did have some finniky knocks right from the off on meat and two wrap over bites that would convince you there was a fish on all to no avail....

Didn't see another person all day.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam we fished Cundalls this morning and after what looked a promising start...we crashed and burned...nice looking stretch and we did have some finniky knocks right from the off on meat and two wrap over bites that would convince you there was a fish on all to no avail....

Quite possible that chub were the culprits, particularly if you were hair rigging your baits. I have to say, any success I've had on that stretch has generally come a little later in the season, late July onwards. Once the hordes have gone elsewhere because they are sick of catching very little and after they've obligingly put enough bait in to get the fish used to seeing bait after the closed season!;):)

Didn't see another person all day.

Count yourself very lucky, most unusual on a weekend there. I can only assume that it must have been a little slow since the opening day of the season.

jollyboy

Reaction score
Quite possible that chub were the culprits, particularly if you were hair rigging your baits. I have to say, any success I've had on that stretch has generally come a little later in the season, late July onwards. Once the hordes have gone elsewhere because they are sick of catching very little and after they've obligingly put enough bait in to get the fish used to seeing bait after the closed season!;):) .
wish I had read this advice before today:D thanks for the helpfull heads up

Count yourself very lucky, most unusual on a weekend there. I can only assume that it must have been a little slow since the opening day of the season.

By all acconts there have been a few on the water since the 16th but by all accounts the bulk head for the weir end...no one seems to wanna put the leg work these days

sam vimes

Reaction score
By all acconts there have been a few on the water since the 16th but by all accounts the bulk head for the weir end...no one seems to wanna put the leg work these days

I tend to head in the opposite direction for that very reason!;):D

craigytees

Reaction score
Hi chaps, i was planning a trip to cundall for the first time today. Any reports or tips or is there a better stretch nearby on a ticket? Used to fishing the middle tees so hope there isnt the hoardes of chavs ive been reading about:eek: