Hemp sticks and pellets

G

Gary Knowles

I have a large fish tank in my house, at the moment all that is in it is half a dozen small rudd (eel and zander baits!) and a couple of 6-8" koi. I often have a bit of fun with them by introducing single baits and watching their reaction. A single heavilly flavoured bait dropped quietly in the corner of the tank has the 2 carp buzzing within seconds and they bustle round and round until they find it. Pellet, (halibut and trout) are soon found and scoffed by both carp and rudd.

But last night the reaction of the fish amazed me. As well as a few pellets I dropped in a few hemp sticks, these are suppose to dissolve quite quickly and have an instant attraction to most fish. We all know carp will eat almost anything, and especially 'tame' ones in a tank. The pellets were totally and utterly ignored, not even investigated or sucked in and spat out. This morning when I came down the sticks were just three little mounds of mush and not even the rudd had had a pop at them overnight.

I certainly won't be using them as feed and got wondering about the effectiveness of other similar pellets, sticks, etc that are out there. Anyone experienced similar or have any comments on what I witnessed ?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
You can't ignore what you see with your own eyes Gary, that wouldn't be at all sensible. Maybe we all would learn a lot of things with some small coarse fish in a tank, seeing their reaction to different baits etc. I have never used those hemp sticks but at least I know now that they aren't much good, forewarned is forearmed as they say.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have never used "hemp sticks" in my life. If I use hemp, I stew it up myself or buy the Dynamite stuff in a can. It is very convenient.

Perhaps the fish in your tank don't recognise the hemp as food.

I have caught loads of roach and dace in my life on hempseed.

G

Gary Knowles

Ron - I'm not talking about hemp, I'm talking obout the sticks and pellets.

The rudd and carp in my tank love hemp but I don't. The bits they sh*t out after feeding on hempseed clogs the filter....

W

Wolfman Woody

I think the stuff I bought is similar Gary. They're long-ish pellets of crushed hemp. I bought a 15 kilos sack of them.

Problem one - an awful lot of them had broken down into dust, perhaps 4 kilos or more.

Problem two - when I introduced them as loose feed, they float. Some use on the river Thames. more chance of feeding the fish around Parliament than where I'm chucking it.

Spodding is the same, it just floats. So I put it in a bait pan (with the weighted release) and they just come back up to the surface. So I wet them and they break up, same if io soak them in oil.

And if you're now saying the fish ignore them - what a complete waste of money. Any suggestions as to what I do with the remainder?

njb51

Reaction score
Pour boiling water on them and mush them up Woody. Then use it with liquidised bread.

Works wonders on the Thames.

G

Gary Knowles

Hemptick mush still on the bottom of the tank, untouched.

I now have so little confidence in it I wouldn't even mix the muush with liquidised bread Jonny.

Thr couple of remaining bags i had are now in the bin...

B

Bully

Thing is Gary, do you know what they are really made of?

I think Mr Jamie Oliver uncovered the con of turkey and chicken twizzles (although the kids ate that!). I just wonder what is actually in them?

W

Wolfman Woody

I might do the same with mine then Gary. It's taking up space at the mo.

Strange thing though, I feed the pigeons on a bit of Conditioner and some Widowhood and add a little hemp seed now and then. Got some strange plants growing underneath the bird table and you wouldn't believe what .....

Yep, but I took it out and composted it.

R

Rodney Wrestt

It grows just fine woody but the seed is irradiated before we get it, this prevents the plants producing T.H.C. (Tetrahydrocannabinol) or keeps the levels so low you'd need a full crop to get the munchies........ aledgedly :eek:)

W

Wolfman Woody

So, no good setting fire to the compost heap then?

Fancied drugging the estate one evening.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Sadly not Jeff, better trying to convert them all to vegies and setting up a stall offering free garnish :eek:)