They use Harrison Blanks

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Harrison make the best fishing rod blanks in this country, and supply to the very best rodmakers.

Peregrine are one of them.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

I have three Harrisons Eddie and the action of all three is superb and the quality of the finish is second to none. I also have two Shimanos and they couldn?t hold a candle to them in any department.

One is a model that they discontinued about 8 years ago and I broke the top section on it. I phoned them up, and Steve H said, send me just the female section to get the taper and I?ll make you up a new top section. 5 days later the section duly arrived by currier. The rod is like new now and all for 38 quid??.brilliant!

Tell me what other Rod maker would or could offer that sort of after-sales service?

R

Robert Woods 1

Harrison are making me a quiver top for my F/M Concept rod. Also love my 11ft GTI rod for River Dane barbelling. I just need to save up for Shimano Nexave power replacement. Which ones have you got Phil.

R

I own three fly rods made on Harrison blanks. I have in my life owned rods by Hardy, Sage, Orvis and Greys. In terms of action, nothing comes near the Harrisons. You just have to hold them.

In addition I possess two Concepts and two Chimera barbel rods. Again they are truly excellent.

I think the difference between Harrison rods and the rest is that owning a Harrison is like wearing a Bespoke Savile Row suit compared to one off the peg.

Also Dr Steve is a very keen and competent angler too. This rubs off on the products his company makes.

E

EC

OK lads I accept aftersales is spot on, but what is so special aout the blanks/made up rods that makes them better than others?

Am in no way tring to be facetious or owt, but what is it exactly, lightness, width, materials? And dont say a combination of all 3 or I'll think you're cheating!

R

If there is one quality that I could apply to the Harrison blanks it is dampening.

If you are a fly fisher you will know a little of what I am getting at. A high quality rod in carbon fibre will not wobble around when suddenly released from flexing. This is very important in a fly rod as little waves can be put into the line by the vibrating blank that will restrict your casting.

I think this is also important in any rod designed for casting.

Cheap rods wobble.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have a Harrison tryptich and it really is a lovely rod to play a fish on, it feels safe if you know what I mean, it feels as if it will handle anything but why it should be better than my Greys rods I don't know but it is, and they are good.

What I don't understand is why anyone would pay more for a Peregrime than they would for a Harrison considering they are on the same blank and I don't think the Harrisons use inferior fittings to them so its down to a name I reckon.

E

EC

Have done Ronaldo lad.

I am in the process of choosing rods (not a quiver tip) for bream/tench feeder fishing, as and when I save up sufficient pennies.

Suggestions?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Graham, I have a pair of the Peregrine Floodwater Rods and I cannot praise them enough.

The blank, although manufactured by Harrisons, is unique to Peregrine. The tip material changes to a super soft carbon compound. The idea is that floodwater debris will pull the soft tip round rather than displace the lead or feeder, allowing you to keep the rig in the water for longer.

Although this is true I find the main benefit is that I have a rod that can chuck whatever weight anywhere I choose (100 yards with a 6oz watch lead is easy) and yet the tip allows me to read what is going on down below.

I don't get to use my floodwater rods very often because they're simply too powerful for the Trent at normal level, but I could never see myself selling them (I do get offers).

If anyone wants a look at the next Trent fish in, let me know and I'll bring 'em along.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Matt, I wouldn't dare to argue with you but you know, most of the blanks that a company like Harrisons use are all made on the mandrels peculiar to Harrisons and no one else, different mandrels for different test curves. Somewhere in Harrisons range will be a top section the same as yours, soft and forgiving, I wouldn't have thought Harrisons would order a mandrel specifically for Peregrine.

Remember even Harrisons now import their blanks they aren't producing their own any longer and that being so then a company should be able buy the blanks direct from the manufacturer, there isn't that many of them these days. If they want blanks with a specific action or strengths peculiar to Harrisons rods then I can understand the manufacturer not supplying them to another competing company so Peregrine could only obtain those blanks that Harrisons use from Harrisons, do you see what I mean.

E

EC

"Remember even Harrisons now import their blanks they aren't producing their own any longer"

So are you saying that Harrisons blanks aren't exclusive just to Harrisons, or the people they supply, such as peregrine, then Graham?

In other words can I obtain Harisons rods under another label at a cheaper price?

R

I spoke to Steve Harrison today and make no mistake they are still making blanks and whole rods where necessary. Harrisons main business is with the Aerospace/Yachting industry where his customers are paying many thousands of pounds, not many hundreds.

But they can still turn around a rod blank to the correct design much faster than they can in the Far East.

At the moment I am after a 15 foot rod for roach fishing on rivers and stillwaters. Dr Steve put me in contact with a custom builder who can help me, and who use Harrisons exclusively.

I know what I want, and none of the major tackle companies have it.

Many of the top tackle companies spend too much time on silly flashy logos on their rods than inbuilt solid design features.

But I guess that's what Joe Soap wants.

Remember one thing. If you can ever afford to have a bespoke Savile Row suit made, you will get no label. Just your name in the inside pocket where it can't be seen.

And Joe Soap will never be able to afford that sort of quality.

N

nick hodgkinson

one mandrel can produce many variants depending on the cloth and wraps etc

also a good manufacturer knows that a mandrel is only 'good' for a set number of blanks - hence why replacement rod sections are so hard to match to a rod and why House of Hardy never recommend a replacement section but a new rod (and its not to make money)

also i prefer spigotted rods where the entire say 12' rod is made in one piece and then 'cut' - any replacement section is going to be a poor match due to weave/cloth details not matching the original

honslow

Reaction score
Eddie, check out the 1.75lb tc Interceptors or the Chimera 2s - it'll be the best money you ever spend I promise!
The Chimera is great for barbel and big tench, the Interceptor would be better for bream at range.
Should you want more of a light Avon, look no further than the Chimera 1 - great for chub, tench, big perch, etc.

N

nick hodgkinson

if you want a great rod builder look no further than Mark Tunley who made my last five rods

great guy with a good understanding/relationship with Harrisons

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

People who have never owned a harrison ask why are they so good. No one who owns a harrison need ask that question.

Utterly superb rods that are a joy to use and simply wonderful to play fish on.

Rolls Royces at Ford prices.