groundbaiting rivers

uscarper

Reaction score
was wondering what mixes to use and about what would hold up in a fairly fast flow if anything does. i made a mix of cornmeal, tinned cat food and sweet corn. i got a couple fish that i beleive came to it, a 7lb common and a 15lb common. but the water flowing thru this area disperses it quickly. also caught a bonus channel catfish of 2lb 8oz, my first on sweetcorn. this spot is below a lowhead dam and has alot of fish. big carp and cats as well as other species. i target those but if i can attract the baitfish and keep them in a certain area, it will in turn attract the bass and walleye" Zanders american cousin." But the big carp are my main interest.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
can you get tigernuts or maize out there, could well be worth a try? Maize seems a little denser than corn and you could flavour it with mollases. Tigernuts always seem to sort out the bigger carp.

Have you tried a baitdropper for getting the bait down to the river bed so that it wont be washed away?

barbelboi

Reaction score
was wondering what mixes to use and about what would hold up in a fairly fast flow if anything does. i made a mix of cornmeal, tinned cat food and sweet corn. i got a couple fish that i beleive came to it, a 7lb common and a 15lb common. but the water flowing thru this area disperses it quickly. also caught a bonus channel catfish of 2lb 8oz, my first on sweetcorn. this spot is below a lowhead dam and has alot of fish. big carp and cats as well as other species. i target those but if i can attract the baitfish and keep them in a certain area, it will in turn attract the bass and walleye" Zanders american cousin." But the big carp are my main interest.

Have you tried this?

Top Mix USA Ground Baits

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Up around the St Lawrence they use nothing but well stewed Maize liberally doused in Molasses.

Given their successes over many years now, maybe you should give that a try. You would probably need to hand it in from an inflatable dingy though.

Frank Elson

Reaction score
I struggled on fast flowing rivers until I made an effort to learn to use feeders.
At least you know some groundbait has spent some time in the vicinity of your hookbait !

uscarper

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, Maize is available rather cheap here. 50lb for 9 dollars or so. They also have a bag of of oats that are soaked in molasses for horse feed, could this be used also. ive read up on preparing maize so as not to hurt the fish. i have a few in-line feeders that i got in Bulgaria 2 years ago. but have never used them. i will read up on rigging these. the 15lb carp i got over last weekend fought so hard. I was using a 6ft light action bass rd with 10 lb line and a small shimano bass reel he about spooled me in the current, but i loved every minute of it. he took the bait very lightly and when i hooked him it took a minute for him to realize he was hooked, then off to the races. again thanks for all the great info. i absolutely love this site.:D

dannytaylor

Reaction score
The oats soaked in molases sounds a brilliant "carpet bait" mix in some maize and fish maize hookbaits over the top, pre bait this for a few days and you will be on to a winner ;)

A longer rod and a reel with a bigger line capacity will also help and id also think about stepping your line up to at least 12 if not 15Ib line, as im sure you will pretty soon hook one of the real biggies, in a river these big carp will really test your tackle to the limit.

Good luck, keep us posted :)

uscarper

Reaction score
just wanted to keep you posted danny, i have my maize ready for hookbait. and my oats and molasses mixed with maize ready for my groundbait. the oats were also mixed with alfalfa pellets and some protein pellets. these just melted up and fell apart when boiled. i'm sure that this will work great. let you know what i catch this weekend. will also add some home made strawberry boilies to this also. experimenting with a peach/mango boilie tonite for a different spot.

uscarper

Reaction score
ive baited a couple holes with the mix we talked about. the carp are loving it will fish it this weekend. i baited these spots then went to a different spot to fish. this is a catfish spot, but had some strawberry boilies i made, so threw some into the hole and along the shallow margins, these quickly drew in alot of minnows. mostly chubs with a few sunfish. caught 2 gar on chubs. but as i was packing up saw 2 carp in the shallows working over the boilies. both mid doubles. carping will be very good i think.:D

uscarper

Reaction score
yes B.B. they are creek chubs, we also have redtail chub, which we call hornyhead chubs. the males get sharp bumps on their heads during spawning time. these chubs get no where near the size of your chub.. they are only fished for here for live baits. i caught perhaps 30 in 15 minutes last saturday in a small stream on bread. the biggest maybe 7 inches. rarely do they get larger than about 10 inches. still fun to catch though.