Environment Agency safeguards fishing lake in Kent

I

Ian Cloke

Environment Agency safeguards fishing lake in Kent

The Environment Agency has finished essential improvement work that will help safeguard the future life of Holland Lakes in Oxted, Kent for the next 30 years.

Holland Lakes has just had its first fishing event since work was completed and, with one angler catching a 10lb 5oz carp, indications are that the project has been successful and fish in the lake are doing well.

The Environment Agency was called out to Holland Lakes in Oxted in the summer of 2004 with reports of fish in distress. Fisheries Officers managed to save the fish by aerating the pond to raise oxygen levels in the water. Holland Angling Club, who lease the lakes, later carried out an investigation to find out what had caused the drop in oxygen levels. It looked at the amount of silt in the lakes and how many fish were in it. The investigation identified that there was too much silt in the lakes.

The Environment Agency Kent Fisheries team used ?25,000 from money made from rod licence sales across the country to carry out a project to remove silt from the lakes. Silt was dug out of the lakes and used to build up the banks.

Environment Agency Fisheries Technical Support Officer, Ben Lord, said:

?Just two years ago we were called out to rescue fish in distress at Holland Lakes so we?re really pleased to have completed the work. The angling club reported that their first fishing event went well ? this is a really good sign that the project has been successful.

?We plough all the money we raise through rod and line licence sales back into maintaining, improving and developing fisheries. This is just one fantastic example of how we spend the money raised.?

L

Les Clark

I was packing up this morning and this bloke and a girl turned up both E.A. officers they said as i was packing up that they would`nt bother me i said no problem and showed them my licences ,first time ive seen them for about six years ,good to know that they are about .

dibber

Reaction score
I used to drive pass Holland lakes and often though what are they doing there I now know wonder if they have any Membership Vacancies, be nice place to fish after all.