Canal Carping

A

Austin Buchan

Anyone know any local hotspots on the bridgewater canal around Manchester,
I heard there's a few good spots but nobody is very forthcomming with the info.. maybe its a northern thing..bit like my additives thread.!!

C

Carp Angler

Austin,

you have to remember a couple of things about carp angling.

Firstly, if you had spent a fair amount of time and money locating some fish, you probably aren't going to divulge the exact whereabouts for other people to capitalise on.

Secondly, being from up t'North the amount of sizeable fish is even more limited, so your chances of dropping on some decent lumps is even more restricted.

Tracking down the fish can be part of the excitement, walk the canal and chat with people.
Pick a sunny day and get the polaroids on, look for signs of fish and use the opportunity to stick some bait in.
You might want to start looking at the outfall by the Kelloggs factory in Trafford Park ;o)

J

Jon Moores

The Bridgie is full of carp and you will find them at any feature, moored boats, overhanging trees, basins etc. If you are starting in the winter I’d suggest you find a short length of permanent moorings. I say a short length because sometimes in winter they will be concentrated under one or 2 boats and this can make finding them a bit of a lottery on a long length of moorings if you are starting from scratch. If you are looking for the bigger fish then you need to be ruthless and move if you are catching lots of smaller fish.

A

Austin Buchan

Thanks guys,
Lee is driving me mad to get out and about,
I have had an incling about Trafford Park
and did ask a certain shop but was told you
have to join up to get certain info!!!.
Jon..how about the Sale/Brooklands area
or the turning basin at Timperley???
I have been following match reports but not a lot seems to be happening in them for any pointers.

J

Jon Moores

Austin

All my Bridgie fishing has been on the Warrington length, but I have heard that the Timperley area does produce. Your best bet for solid info is to go along at the end of a match and see who's caught or lost carp.