Soft plastic what a price

• Thread starter Denis Goulding 2
  • Start date
D

Denis Goulding 2

Yes i have soft plastic bug.
I used small dawgs on spinning out fits, they worked so well over a few weeks i went out and bought two jerkbait rods, heavy and medium and an abu left hand multiplier.
First day with it had 10 pike including three doubles.
But i am finding it an exspensive habit, bulldawgs and springdawgs last 2 fish at the best of time.
I was wondering is there any cheaper lures out there or imitation dawgs knocking about.
I have boxes of crank baits etc,they last forever, but not the plastics.
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Regards,
Denis

J

jonathan warrener

Sosy baits are much more durable than trad soft plastics, as so are ones made out of a stuff called jelltex.
Another route you can go down is as Cris suggests get some big curly grubs and shads and rig em yourself - no more durable than bulldawgs but much cheaper.

B

Budgie Burgess

Daiwa do a springdawg copy at around ?3! Catchs just as many as the Musky Inovations one.

Also get yourself a soldering iron you can repair soft plastics with one.

D

Denis Goulding 2

Lads,
thanks a million for the help lads, i appreciate it.
When retrieving the bull dawgs, large rubbers, do u find that a steady slow retrieve or jerky stop start works best>>???
Regards,
Denis

B

Budgie Burgess

Dawgs are quite versatile you can use several different retrieves with them.Like all lures try them out near the rod tip to see what action different retrieves will impart.A steady retrieve does work well on Dawgs though unlike most other large lures.This is because the tail gives them an "in-built" action.

G

Gary Knowles

Budgie - whats the tail action on the Daiwa dawgs like. The later version of the musky dawgs I thought didn't have any decent action unless worked really fast.

B

Bob Watson

I've seen a battery operated lure "welder" somewhere so you can mend them on the bank. It may have DLST or lureshack.

I picked up a dozen or so 4" dawgs from my mates tackle shop, sadly now shut down, I bought all he had left in various colours, haven't got round to trying them yet.